1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats...I'm trying not to hate them but...

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by AndyS, Apr 22, 2013.

1. AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
    +50
    I love animals right, but is it a fact that cats can't be trained to use a litter tray, or are most owners just lazy and irresponsible?!
    Whatever the case, I know it's not really the cats' fault for doing what comes naturally, but right now I feel like I could strangle the little blighters!

Can anyone give me any sound advice on how to keep them out of my fledgling raised beds please?
    I've just bought one of those ultrasonic devices, but given that soiling was evident right by it the very day after I installed it I'm not holding out for that to prove a cure-all bit of kit. I know that when things get more established the problem will lessen as they won't be able to find room among the plants to do their business, but as of now while I'm sowing seeds and bulbs it's a right pain.

I'm going to cover what I can in chicken wire until it starts to sprout, but thereafter, and for the areas that I can't cover, what can I do?

I've heard citrus peel and garlic and pepper are all off-putting to cats, but if they don't mind a burst of sonic pain then I can't see any of these things sending them running for the hills...
    Would heavily watering every night be helpful maybe?

Also, how dangerous is cat poo around edibles? Obv I'm not going to leave any of it there to fester, but say they bury some and I miss it when tending my beds, is this going to make what I'm growing unsafe to eat? If so that's a really depressing thought after all the graft I've put in...

Thanks for any advice.

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
  3. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Cats do use a litter tray indoors!! but outdoors if they can find some nice soft earth they will use that instead. I do sympathise though, I even get frustrated at my own cat whom I adore!! :)

Val

4. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Hi Andy, are you sure your new device is working?

A couple of my work colleagues have bought them with very good results. One has had his over a year, his tips are to keep moving them around and adjusting the frequency and sensitivity, otherwise cats work out how to avoid triggering them. Also to position them on the entry points to the area your're trying to protect, e.g. near a fence if the cat jumps over there is more chance of it setting it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
      +50
      Thanks. Sorry I don't know how I managed to miss that one. Covers the lot really. We have a lot of wild holly near us so I'll be pruning and bagging some of that up this week :)

• Like Like x 1
      • AndyS

AndyS Gardener

Ratings:
        +50
        Well, it's working in that I can hear it when triggered (my parents, with older ears, can't) and the light flashes too when triggered. But it seems to have had no impact so far. The instructions do say to give it time to become effective but I don't see how lasts of noise needs time to take effect - surely the cat should hear it and scarper?
        Anyway, I'll persist with it and am going to add to my armoury with cayenne pepper, bark mulch and holly branches.

Can anyone shed light on the possible dangers to health thing, as this is not covered in the thread Zigs pointed out, and the clearest info I can find online is this, which suggests it should be ok to just do my best to clear any faeces and then wash any fruit/veg before eating...

Once the faeces are in the garden, the bacteria and parasites within the faeces can begin spreading into the soil. Cats bury their faeces, so the faeces may go unnoticed. Gardeners who note unusual mounds or digging in their garden should suspect faeces and use rubber gloves to prevent contamination. Transmission is possible by touching the mouth after handling the soil or flowers grown in the soil, or by eating unwashed fruits or vegetables from the contaminated garden.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,975
        My allotment has been a cats toilet for years.
        I'm still here, must admit I dont like the idea, but I also get, in lesser quantities, fox poo as well, and urine which stinks.
        I just think normal hygiene when picking, eating, your crops is good enough.

If you read all it says regarding what can kill you in the soils and the possible bacteria contamination I doubt anyone would grow anything these days other than hydroponically.
        Its part of modern super clean food thinking.

And lets face it, we grow our own to get away from that thinking.:)

• Like Like x 2
        • Agree Agree x 2
        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
          +46,155
          Yep I think it's working then :)

I've also heard that some cats are actually attracted into the garden by the sound these things make, so I guess they don't always have the desired effect.