1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cats

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cathysue, Jan 24, 2005.

1. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I have a major problem with cats using my lawn (and other areas of my garden) as a litter tray. Can anyone suggest any really effective cat deterrents that are safe to use on the lawn where children play.
    I have politely complained to the neighbour whose cats (lots of) are the culprits but had no joy.

2. plant pot man

plant pot man Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i think you you shoud shoot them when they come in the garden but if you most this website is pritty rellible http://www.deteracat.co.uk/

3. richard

richard Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you dont want to resort to exteme techno measures you could always get your own cat who will usually use someone elses garden and at the same time protect its own 'territory'(cue fearsome noises at night!).Seed beds can be protected by wire netting but tends to make your garden look like a mini Colditz. Cats like to 'cover up' their deposits so perhaps a small soil area could be provided - it must be a very desperate or very lazy old moggy that can't give a sh*t and uses a lawn!

4. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If you did provide a corner of your garden as a 'deposit point' , you could plant catmint/catnip around the area to persuade them to use that area.

For the areas you don't want cats, use Scaredy-cat plantColeus canina. We have had one in the garden for 2 years on the trot (only an annual), and our own cats do not go near it.

Regarding what Richard said, we have 2 cats, and very rarely see another cat in our back garden, maybe get a cat.

Nathan.

5. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for those replies. I've gone with an ultrasonic gismo and not seen a cat in the garden yet! I'm also going to try the coleus canina in some of the more awkward areas of the garden that the ultrasonic detector cannot reach.
    As to the suggestion of getting a cat -unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm allergic to the b****** and at this momemt in time I tend to agree with plant pot man's thoughts on cat deterrents

6. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    An old Uncle swears by lion dung which he gets from a pal who works at Longleat - he puts it all along the boundary of his garden every few weeks and I have to say it appears to work!!

7. kate

kate Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I problem with neighbours cats too. It's true - they use the lawn more than soil. does anyone recommend the battery powered sonic deterrents?

8. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    the ultrasonic gizmo that I've bought seems to be working - I haven't seen a cat in the garden since I attached it to the fence, so fingers crossed!!
    (I bought mine on ebay for just under �£30 inc postage which was �£10 cheaper than I'd seen the same item elsewhere.)

9. Liz Giz

Liz Giz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have small kids, a sand pit and a neighbour with mny cats...with the obvious results. We have recently started using eucalyptus-oil soaked tea bags in to the sand, and it seems to be working. You get the oil from the chemists, drip it onto used tea bags, bury them in the sand. Does kids no harm, smells OK & deters cats. When the bags break you just get a bit of tea in the sand.

10. betty

betty Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent idea, I'm thinking of buying a sand pit for my daughters Birthday.

11. cathysue

cathysue Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I'll give that one a go as well. Our sand pit has a lid so we don't suffer that way, but the kids do like to dig underneath a tall fir tree and the loose soil attracts the pesky varmints!

12. rosietutu

rosietutu Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +434
    Ah pussie cats..I have just moved house and have a corner front garden unfenced I would think that every other house has a cat, I wondered why we had no little birds only Magpies,
    Freshley dug they came from miles around to leave thier calling cards, Then I was visiting a garden centre in Sussex with my daughter and came upon, "COMBAT'cat repellent it uses essential oils smells nice and is ok for kids,The makers are:William Sinclair horticulture,Lincoln and it worked.... they also have a web site, I have now fenced it mainly to keep the Foxes out as they dig (for fun) out the plants then I found out why,I had used bonemeal as a fertilizer. Rosietu

13. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I breed moggies and have from 4 -12 most of the time, non ever uses my garden,pots or borders.I empty the cat/kitten litter tray, sawdust, in a corner and as soon as they come out in morning all go there.Luckily I don't have any neighbours, but a hose pipe does the trick and my sees off the old Tom.

14. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    sorry amending,from last message my Dog sees them off.

15. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought re keeping the pussies out of the more awkward corners - there's a product called "Silent Roar" which is actually dried, pelleted lion poo (yes, really, not tried it myself as I have a cat who sees off all comers, but have a friend who swears by it.