1. A very warm welcome to our new members from GW forums!
    Please see post #99 in the thread below for important information to help your friends wishing to join
    Gardeners World forum members gathering place
    Dismiss Notice

Ceanothus help please

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Victoria Mitchell, May 1, 2021.

1. Victoria Mitchell

Victoria Mitchell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I brought this ceanothus last year - not sure of the variety. Recently the leaves have begun to turn yellow and drop. On closer inspection lots of the new growth seems to have been eaten and there are signs of webs of some sort. When I opened a clump of leaves covered in the web, there was some sort of worm/larvae inside. I’m very much a gardening beginner so any advice on how to address or treat this would be much appreciated? Is it possible to save this plant? Thank you

Attached Files:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +13,793
    Hello Victoria, welcome to GC. What you describe sounds like Tortrix moth caterpillars. The good news is that there is a treatment available which will get rid of them without harming anything else. It's a bacteria (Bacillus thuringiensis) specific to caterpillars, sold as a powder that you mix thoroughly with water and spray on the affected plants. I can't tell you the UK brand names, but have a look at the tiny print on the packaging for Box Moth or Pine Processionary caterpillar treatments. Or perhaps someone who has used it could furnish the brand name?:)
    You need to thoroughly soak the foliage, and maybe use it as a preventative measure next spring.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Victoria Mitchell

Victoria Mitchell Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      @noisette47 thank you so much. Does this look like the stuff?

Attached Files:

• noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +13,793
      Yes, that's the one. Must be one of the very few occasions when a gardening-related product is cheaper here than there :biggrin: Or it would be if it wasn't for the new customs rules!