1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Celosia deficiency?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by SimonZ, Dec 15, 2012.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I have a celosia which has flowered beautifully on the windowsill throughout autumn. Some of its leaves are now turning brown and brittle at the tips, and crumble easily to the touch. It is not a huge problem as the plant overall looks healthy but I am wondering what the cause may be, as celosias are said to be disease resistant and only suffer due to spider mites etc? Over the months the leaves have occasionally wilted if I've been away for a few days, but a good dose of watering usually solves that. However, as the plant does not generally need a lot of watering I wondered if perhaps that could be the root of the problem - I'd over-watered? Thanks.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,538
    I don't know much about these Simon but having checked on the internet, could the plant need new soil or feeding? It says that they like a rich soil. Just an idea. :)

3. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    RSM suck the sap from the leaves, causing yellowing (or yellow blotches) of the foliage. They are usually accompanied by a superfine web like substance. If your plant is not matching this description it's good news!
    I don't know Celosia, but it does sound a little like the leaves reacting to several periods of thirst.
    Also, have you done anything to raise the humidity around the plant now that the heating is on?

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,619
    I had to take another look at this one.
    Only Celosia I remember is a bedding plant used in summer, I used to plant it out about May and it would die with the first frost.

Unless its some other kind of Celosia, I 'd guess its just run out of steam after flowering and best replaced next year.

5. davygfuchsia

davygfuchsia Gardener

Ratings:
    +257
    I go along with Pete on this one . The only ones I have encountered if not annuals, were treated as annuals. and probably not worth struggling along with ..
    Dave

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,395
    It is an annual as stated above, it is just dying off, not worth even trying to feed or over winter it.