CENTRAL HEATING

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by nathan7, Jan 22, 2011.

1. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    We have an ideal cetral heating boiler and the pressure gauge on it is on the low setting I have tried to bleed some of the rads but no warmth bbrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr I have switched boiler off what do I do next please

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Taking it right back to basics, first thing, is the pump working & the boiler firing up ?[hr]
    If yes, then you need to identify the sequence of the radiators i.e. which is the first, second & so on .

The bathroom one is likely to be on the primary (hot water) circuit so not part of the central heating system.

Turn all the rads off & then switch the boiler on. At the first rad, turn it on slowly till it starts to heat up, then go to second, third & so on and do the same.

If no heat comes to the first rad then there is probably an air lock in the system. I would also suspect a frozen pipe could enter into this somewhere. If no heat comes then you need to switch off & call a plumber.

Where abouts are you Nathan ?

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    Hi Nathan, I don't have a combi, which I am assuming you have, but if the balance is out , bleeding the rads will make it worse.. You usually need to top the system back up to balance it..
    Here is the Ideal site where you can select your boiler type http://www.idealheating.com/homeowner/which-product.php#
    and here is a site that tells you about balancing it.. After that you need to talk to your plumber if the balance is still out..
    http://www.shadlock.co.uk/energy/heat/chbal.htm

I hope this is of some help mate.. :thumbsup:

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Just to echo what Marley said, if its a combi, then you need to make sure it is topped up (can't remember the proper term). We had one at our last house, and about once per year I had to do some fiddling under the boiler to bleed the boiler itself. It gradually fills up with air, displacing the water, so it becomes less and less efficient until it drops so low that the boiler's own safety cut-out thingy shuts the boiler down altogether.

If it is that, then you should be able to do it yourself if you can find the right guide for your particular boiler. On mine there was a special key (not a radiator bleed key) which I had to push in and turn 90 degrees, then I had to turn on a little tap and watch the pressure guage until it was about in the middle. Then close the little tap, turn the key back 90 degrees, and then restart the boiler which in the case of my old one just meant pressing a reset button.

5. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you all for your help I think I have found the problem Pipe leading to another I opened the 2 valves just a little as I was very nervous and a sound of water/air etc was made I then switched it on again and every thing worked so if any of you want a gas fitter just call me ha ha ha :rofl: :dbgrtmb:
    [​IMG]

6. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one Nathan. Glad it wasn't anything too drastic:dbgrtmb:

7. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thanks ziggy I phoned british gas board helpline and they where going to send out a fitter on monday morning priced me £189 if fault was under 30min charge would only be £69 all above plus vaqt I would think :what:

8. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, wish I could charge even half of that. Better get my Gas Safe certificate sorted out.

9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :thumbsup: Great stuff Nathan.. :yahoo:

To keep Combi's at the right pressure you have to top the system up now & then... Keep an eye on your pressure though & if it stays fairly constant then fine... If you find it keeps losing pressure constantly & you find you are topping it up regularly then there is a valve that sometimes needs replacing, but if it is the valve then usually you will have signs of water leaking out of your boiler overflow outside... :WINK1:

10. nathan7

nathan7 Gardener

RETIRED
    Ratings:
    +11
    Thank you Marley for the advice will do mas you say as always many thanks :dbgrtmb: