1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chalky Ground

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Stardust, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Stardust

Stardust Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

I have an area at the top of my steep garden that I would like to plant some shrubs in, unfortunately the area in question is pretty much pure chalk, this problem is also made worse by a large ash tree owned by my neigbour which over- hangs this area of my garden. The rest of the garden is very chalky but I have managed to break the chalk up and enrich the ground with compost over the years when I was younger.

I am now of an age where climbing up a very steep bank to reach this area is not in my favour. However, because the area looks neglected I would like to plant some low maintenance shrubs to brighten it up.

Has anyone encountered and overcome the problem and if so can they recommended shrubs that I could use. Many thanks.

Stardust

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Some slow growing evergreens might do the trick. Conifers / cypress should do ok if the soil has been improved. Others would be berberis, box, ceanothus and cotoneasters.

Could you have someone make you a winding path up the steep bank so it's easier to reach?

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      This probably doesn't help much, but I've always been keen on introducing lots of native wild flowers to the garden, but every time I see something stunning in my wildflower ID book, I read it's prefered conditions and they almost always say 'calcerous ground', which I looked up and found means chalky or limey ground. I.e. not the type of ground I have anywhere.

Maybe, if it takes your fancy, you could sow wildflower seed on your chalk area. You can get mixes ready made up to suit most soil types, and it does seem to me that the prettiest specimens grow on chalk.

• Like Like x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,046
        To save covering it all with topsoil you can get away with a little 'pit' filled with compost/soil for a few plants, I've got chalky ground too, and in my garden Mahonia, Euonymus, Ferns and Bergenia (Elephants Ears) grow year after year with hardly any maintenance (all of these are under hedges or shaded by trees)

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Given the choice, i'd plant :

Butchers Broom
          Kidney Vetch
          Box
          Thyme
          Margoram
          Sage