1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chamaerops (Dwarf fan palm)

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Economiser, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Economiser

Economiser Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently been give one a Chamaerops but I don't know the variety. There seems to be conflicting advice on the hardiness. Its quite big, about 4ft tall. Is there any way of identifying the variety? Has anyone any experience of overwintering one of these outdoors? I am in West Essex.

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Could well be Humilis which is the commonest

Its said to be hardy as a big mature plant, If I was you considering the winter being forecast I would give it some protection over winter, either in a greenhouse, conservatory, or a sheltered spot and protected with fleece during the coldest spells

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,694
    I've got a humilis, been growing outside for about 5 yrs now. They come from southern Europe, and can take quite a bit of frost. The first 3 yrs I protected mine, although it is planted in a sunny sheltered area near to the house.
    I have heard that minus 5 C is about the limit, after that you get some damage and with a newly planted plant, probably death.
    I definately would not plant it out at this time of the year, I'd wait till spring.
    Do you know if it is an import, or was it grown in the UK, it could affect hardiness.

4. Economiser

Economiser Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It came from a friend who now has no where to put it now he has moved. He got it from a garden centre where they said it was hardy, but who knows? He had it outside under a verandah but lived in town whereas we are out in the sticks. Its in a big pot, very difficult to move, and I intend to keep it in it. Ground here is heavy clay and not at all well drained. I don't think it would like it. I have it positioned near the house in a sunny, sheltered position so I will follow your advice and give it some protection if we get a really cold spell. Thanks to you both.