CHAMAEROPS HUMILIS on eBay - opinions please!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Dave_In_His_Garden, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Dave_In_His_Garden

Dave_In_His_Garden Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Afternoon all,

Can anyone see a catch with this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=380109961785

I have been looking for another palm for my garden (have a nice trachy that is doing well, and looking for something shapely and hardy) and this one just seems too good to be true. Can somebody please persuade me it is not a good idea before I buy one?! :gnthb:

Cheers,

Dave

2. plant1star

plant1star Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mmm, he has some nice plants on there, but that plant looks to me a bit like a Kentia Palm, (also known as Howea forsteriana) especially this picture of it http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=42356&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

I've had a look on the BBC website, http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/5106.shtml, don't think St Helens is going to be warm enough for it!

I would perhaps go for a Butia capitata aka Jelly Palm. Reportedly to be fairly hardy. Have a look at http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/plants/plant_finder/plant_pages/11847.shtml

I would also look at the products like that in person, and buy from a specific palm seller. That's just me, a bit old fashioned!

Hope this Helps!

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Seller looks all right to me. Nearly 1000 feedbacks, all positive and the start ratings as close to 5* as makes no difference.

4. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    About the right price IMHO. Its not massive and they don't get big quick either.

5. Banana Man

Banana Man You're Growing On Me ...

SuperHero...
    Ratings:
    +213
    This was £69 from B&Q about 7 years ago when they were still pretty pricey for tropicals.

I am a self confessed trunk trimmer too.

[​IMG]

6. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Had some conflicting advice about hardiness - minus 13 according to some websites, so couldn't see any probs. My trachy has had no protection over our cold winter and has done absolutely fine, but I know that goes down a bit lower. PS - St Helens actually doesn't do badly for cold, must be something to do with being between the sea (Liverpool) and the hills (Manchester). We never tend to get extremes - not complaining! :D

Plant1star - yes, I tend to like to look in person, but at that price I thought it was too good to turn down, still the price doesn't seem to be that amazing judging by overall reaction!

BM - any recommendations for Jelly Palms in that case?

7. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    My B&Q definitely didn't have anything that big for that price when I checked the other day... may have a scan at the Warrington one before I commit to anything! :D

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,314
    I doesn't look to me to be straight humilis, I think its one of the varieties with silvery or blueish fronds,
    the fronds look finer also.
    Chamaerops is probably the hardiest palm after Trachy.

As with most e bay stuff and mail order in general, the postage puts the mockers on it.

9. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "As with most e bay stuff and mail order in general, the postage puts the mockers on it."

Although that depends a bit on how far you have to drive to get to your local garden centre / whatever. Of course its a nice outing anyway :) but that apart its 50p per mile and £10 per hour, or whatever figure you choose to put on it. I know that one doesn't tend to cost ones time, or running around in the car, but its worth considering when thinking of a mail-order purchase.

10. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,240
    I think it would be ok where you are, although I wouldn't say it is cheap it is a good size and a healthy looking palm.:thumb:

Pete yes it does look like one of the 'other' Humilis, there are two Cerifera one has blue/grey colour top and bottom and the other mainly on the underside, same as I have. Whichever one it is it's a decent plant.

Dave, Butias although more hardy are more expensive, one I have seen in similar size to the Chamaerops are around £60/70 and like Chamaerops very slow growing.:)

11. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,314
    I'd like to add that butia has a very different growth habit to chamaerops, so is not really a substitute.
    Butia being a feather palm and chamy being a mostly suckering low growing fan palm.

12. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Dave I think you would be dissappointed at the rate of growth of the chamy although it's well hardy in St Helens (like their rugby team) I obtained my chamy from wilkinsons about 3 years ago for about £5 (no postage) they did have some in focus on riverside Warrington a month or so back.Look around for a Butia B.capita,B.eriospatha,B.yatay all hardy to about -9 or10c

13. Dave_In_His_Garden

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I didn't go for the palm in the end - as you said, I can probably find a better one if I do a bit more shopping around! Thanks a lot for all the help and advice - I will let you know when I do finally get a companion for my trachy! :)

Cheers,

Dave