1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chamaerops planting and questions.

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Texas Pete, Jul 19, 2020.

1. Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
    Ratings:
    +93
    Good evening everyone.

Fairly new to gardening but wanted some advice. I bought a 30 litre Chamaerops compacta to plant. I've put it in the ground - did it the day I got it last week but worried I might have planted too deep.

I have planted so the soil is just below the main trunk. This totally covers the suckers which I cut off. Planting with the suckers exposed also exposes considerable amount of root material.

There also appears to be a bit of the lower part of the trunk splitting. Fronds at the top and new growth seem fine. Should I be worried?

I am a bit of a newbie at this all? Have I done the right thing? Or do I need to dig up and re plant?

Many thanks!

20200719_202652.jpg 20200719_202258.jpg

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +86,001
    Think the question is how much of the stem is actually underground, it looks fine to me, but I didn't see it before you planted it.:smile:
    The usual rule is plant at the same depth it was before but often pot grown palms push themselves up out the pot if they are a bit potbound.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
      Ratings:
      +93
      Many thanks for the reply - good to know I've not messed up totally! There is no trunk under the soil. Below that is exposed roots and (trimmed) suckers. I think the situation with the pot is exactly what you said. It did seem a bit potbound.

• Like Like x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,001
        Well I'd leave it, pretty sure it will sort itself out, if you are worried you could scrape and inch or two of soil away from round the stem, might make watering easier until its established, as well.

• Like Like x 1
        • Texas Pete

Texas Pete Gardener

Railway
          Ratings:
          +93
          Well it is definitely growing nicely, has thrown out loads of new growth on the top, and has been suckering since I posted this - although no doubt this will wind down as winter approaches! Cheers!

• Like Like x 2