1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chard and kale recipes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ariadae, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Ariadae

Ariadae Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +679
    What are your favourite recipes for these lovely veg? I like mine lightly steamed and stirred into some fried onions and garlic, with a bit of chilli and balsamic vinegar. Maybe a scrape of nutmeg on top.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dips

Dips Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,631
      Kale i love cut small mixed with some olive oil, salt and sugar and then baked till crispy

Can eat far too much of it that way

• alex-adam

alex-adam Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,073
      Here's a soup recipe:

SWISS CHARD AND GREEN BEAN SOUP
      Ideal for using up the chard and beans that have gone mad!!
      To serve 4

1 medium onion chopped
      1 garlic clove chopped
      Olive oil
      1/2 tsp roast and ground cumin seed
      about 1 lb (450gr) Swiss chard, or spinach or a mixture of both, chop stalks and roughly shred leaves.
      6-8oz (170-220gr) green beans or shelled broad beans or shelled peas or a mixture of any combination of them - strip any strings off the green beans and chop into 1" pieces.
      chopped mint or dill leaves
      1.1/2pt (850ml) vegetable stock.

Heat the oil in a pan, sweat the onion, garlic and ground cumin for a few minutes, add the chard, beans, mint and the stock. Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes or until all soft.

Cool slightly, then process in a blender until very smooth. Return to the pan and reheat.

Serve in warm soup plates, garnish with some olive oil and lemon juice whisked together, a dusting of nutmeg and slivers of Parmesan cheese. Some warm ciabattas, crusty rolls or French bread goes well with this.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Nov 23, 2014
      • Gay Gardener

Gay Gardener Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,978
        Agree both lovely veg.
        In a potato, chickpea coconut creamy curry. Either kale (chopped quite fine) or chard stirred in for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
        I use chard in a veggie mushroom, asparagus and chard lasagne.

My chard completely failed this year, sprouted, looked good and just sat there like midgets all season.