1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Charity single for Haiti

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jazmine, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Retired-got my bus pass and loving it!
    Ratings:
    +694
    Some of the biggest names in UK and American music have joined forces to record an emotive cover of the REM classic 'Everybody Hurts', to raise money for charities supporting the relief efforts in Haiti. The final line up of featured artists is Mariah Carey, Jon Bon Jovi, Robbie Williams, Rod Stewart, Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke, Miley Cyrus, Take That, Joe McElderry, Cheryl Cole, JLS, Mika, Michael Bubl?James Blunt, James Morrison, Susan Boyle, and Westlife.

The single will split all proceeds 50/50 between DEC (Disasters Emergency Committee) and The Sun newspaper's 'Helping Haiti' appeal. Prime Minister Gordon Brown has pledged to waive VAT on the single. The Haitian earthquake, which occurred on 12th January 2010 measuring a catastrophic 7.0 on the richter scale, is already estimated to have caused the deaths of over 250,000 people. 250,000 are in need of urgent aid and more than 2 million people are estimated homeless and in need of long term support to help rebuild their lives

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0L017Y7AOA"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia] Here is a link for two cover songs which are just beautiful. I will certainly be buying the charity single. It is one of my favourite songs ever. Listen to the lyrics.

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Absolutely agree Kath... How beautiful.. It is also very refreshing to know that the public still care & help is on-going.....!!! :thumb:
    It is such devastation out there still one wonders how they can pick their lives up again, but given the chance I know the will..
    My friend out there talks to her brother as often as she can.. I even had a 2 minute call before we lost the signal...
    She says the grit, humility & determination of these people amidst so much death & destruction is incredible & she feels so humble every day when she meets them.... She is so struck by their attitude the beliefs young & old of the people is fantastic to see she says.. A much stronger sense of "this is my life & I will make the most of what I have......."!!!!!! Their patience & humility is something we have lost in the west........

Where she is they are now starting to clear the debris.. They too have experienced some amazing rescues in the tiny village where she is.. The last being last week of a 10yr old... Luckily as it is such a tiny place they have managed to search thoroughly there...
    They have some orphans there , but the other villagers are taking care of them if they can.. It seems very different where she is.. A tiny community who had no help for over a week after the quake & they have done magnificently she says.. No panic, just sadness happiness patience & get on with it to save any one they could.. Without much in the way of help, medicines , food or fresh water they have done remarkably well.... Remarkably they didn't experience too many deaths to wipe the community out..!!!
    The Haitian people are an inspiration I think...!!! :)
    Help is now there & they are building a camp as we speak.....

3. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    its a lovely song - i love rem and a wonderful way of fundraising

loopy

4. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    I agree Loopy :)

I saw a clip from it this morning on TV.

it is beautiful.

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    It is difficult to judge how many lives this particular song has saved already, quietly and steadily-I know it has definitely done me a very great service in the past.

I don't pray, to me it is meaningless, but I do most sincerely hope that this release raises much needed money to help those out there who need it the most.

All my love and my very best wishes goes out to anyone who has been affected by this natural catastrope.

6. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    Thank you for posting that Jazmine. I'm sure the artists involved are doing their very best to raise much needed money and I'm sure it will be very succesful.

What puzzles me a bit is - why do people need to get a DVD or something before they will help. Why do they just not send money ?

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    It looks like I'm going to be the lone voice then and say I think this cover of an REM classic is appalling! Yes, it's for a great cause and hopefully it will raise a huge pile of money (charity singles usually do!), but couldn't they have come up with an original song - as they did with 'Do they know it's Christmas', rather than trying to gild the lily? None of them could hold a candle to Michael Stipe and the way he sings that song. Sorry!

8. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hmm you do have a point & I suppose Aaron, but as you say charity singles usually do well.. I just hope this one raises a shed load as the people of Haiti are not out of the woods by any means yet.. They have found out so much since this quake... Now they think there could be another much serious as the continetal & caribbean plates are causing allot of seismic problems....
    Because of the poverty there, the way they had constructed their buildings on the soft sub siol that was what killed such a high number of people, they just pancake collapsed from no real structural support.... but can they afford to build earthquake proof houses cheaply... Not too sure of that at all, in fact I would say no for the populace of people.. !!!! So sad....
    That is California's answer but not so sure the Caribbean countries such as Haiti & Dominican & Cuba Jamaica etc could survive & do that.. I wait to see the out come....!

9. Jazmine

Jazmine happy laydee

Ratings:
    +694
    There was an interesting programme on TV last night about Haiti and why the buildings collapsed in the way they did. Very tragic, especially these poor little children some of them left with double amputations. There was a wonderful lady who was singing her way through all her medical problems.
    Any money from any source will be a help to these people. I don't think it matters how, why, what or where as long as these people get the help they need and deserve.

10. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I think it's ruined a fabulous record.

Just give direct to the DEC, or OXFAM! ( ......and by-pass the ego massaging of clebs and newspapers!)

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,125
    :thumb: Agree with you Kath.. Any little bit does help as they are going to need so much.... The people there have a much happier outlook on life than we do here.. They know they live in poverty, but make the best of what they have & are very proud of it... So to have nothing hardly tp start with, it is utterly devastating when it is snatched away like that... It is pitiful to see the injuries & yet so many manage to still crack a smile..... Haiti will need allot of help from the west for quite a while yet.. So I know we may not like it particularly but it is singing for the cause not the artists...

12. loopy lou

loopy lou Gardener

Ratings:
    +34
    quercus, i understand what you are saying but if i was a famous singer i would love to do something to help - sending money is the best way we can help but wouldnt it feel good to actually do something

anyway as long as they get the money - thats what counts in the long run

loopy

13. NatalieB

NatalieB Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think it would be interesting to see in terms of percentages - how much of the proceeds of the record sale reach the end recipient, versus how much through the normal channels. Some of the charitable organisations I know in the past, as little as 10% actually reaches the user - after all they have admin costs etc. and fundraisers salaries to pay for. Where it is the artist - I'm betting that a whole lot more goes to the poor people in Haiti percentage wise.

14. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have that concern about charity as well. I used to go out with someone (briefly) who worked in Admin for a charity (can't remember which one) who was on a better than average salary for pushing paper most of the time in an office...which was full of other admin staff doing exactly the same thing.

I'm wary of charity singles most of the time. Most of us remember Band Aid in the 80's and recently, 'Make Poverty History'. Has it worked? Not that I can see. Ok, most of this is down to political reasons/greed/natural resources/corrupt governments (that last point is particularly applicable to Haiti) but it also seems that those who benefit most from these big concerts are the musicians performing at them and the fantastic publicity they receive.

I might also get shot here, but this country has vast debt problems now, with our own poverty issues - elderly people being treated abysmally in 'care homes' or unable to afford heating or proper food. Not on the scale of the disaster of Haiti and it's great to see that the people of this country still dig deep to help...but for a country on the other side of the world, while unaware of suffering taking place on our own doorstep. Maybe it goes back to the old saying - Charity begins at home?

15. Quercus

Quercus Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    If you're a famous singer, singing a line on a record is your job... it won't change the world, (We can't even remember who sang on the first Live Aid record.. Stick your neck out like Bob Geldoff, Joanna Lumley and....... d'ya know... I can't even think of another cleb who would risk their profile for a cause.............

http://www.dec.org.uk/donate_now/
    Listen to the song... and give deirect to the DEC