Cheap 3mm strimmer line

Discussion in 'Tools And Equipment' started by Scrungee, May 24, 2012.

1. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    The shop where I get 3mm strimmer line (15m for £1.49 from Dinah Discount in Fenny Stratford) will be closing shortly and I've only got about a year's supply of 3mm line for use in my Honda brushcutter. Alternative sources all seem more expensive, especially when including P&P - I thought buying a drum of the stuff should work out cheaper than buying 15m coils, but it works out more per metre.

Anybody know of a cheap source? (anything of a lesser diameter just isn't up to the job).

2. Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
    Ratings:
    +7,278
    Just a punt, but can you not use 40LB STRAIN fishing line 5p a meter

I do not know honestly whether the diameter is critical or the breaking strain

My next door neighbour gave me her strimmer, and bundles of strimmer lines, some 3mm some 2 and 1.5 they all seem to work, though I do not really have a clue how to use it,
    I unplug it, pull out five inches of the green wire stuff, and when I start it up it clatters and bangs then runs really fast which worrries me, so I switch it off, and notice the line I pulled out is now only about three inches long but it seems to do the job

I think when it runs out, I will just use the 500 meter drum of bell wire I have lying in me shed

Jack McH

3. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,996
    At a guess that 3mm line is approx 300 lbs BS and probably capable of holding a shark, or record breaking tope, conger, etc. I have spools of 30lbs BS line, and they are far, far thinner than the very thinnest of strimmer line. 40 lbs BS line might be around 0.4mm diameter. 3mm line is 56 times the cross-sectional area of 0.4mm line.

Anybody else here use heavy duty strimmers?

• Like Like x 1
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,618
      I know this is a very old thread...but to prevent starting a new one up...I do search before starting up a new thread and asking the same old question..:biggrin::blue thumb:

I have replaced my strimmer line with something thicker - assuming that it wouldn't break as easily as the original thinner stuff.

My flabber is ghasted - the thicker line doesn't seem to last as long - it breaks shortly after starting the strimmer.

Would this be because the thicker stuff is not as flexible as the thinner stuff - so more prone to breaking even though it must have a higher breaking strain?

Anyone else experience this - should I just stick with the thinner stuff?

• pamsdish

pamsdish Total Gardener

Retired
      "Black Country Wench" in Margam,Port Talbot,Wales
      Ratings:
      +4,445
      I seem to recall @clueless1 posting a warning about using different thickness/strength line.

• Scrungee

Ratings:
      +28,996
      3mm Is the correct diameter for my strimmer/brushcutter, and it lasts a long time. If I try and economise by using 2.4mm line left over from a previous model, then it wears away in no time, plus I'm forever having to open the spool and pull the ends out.

It could be the quality of 3mm line you're using. I now use 53m 'doughnuts' of Oregon Red line and it lasts for ages.
      Oregon 552693 Red Round Line 3mm x 53m Strimmer, Trimmer, Brushcutter Line
      Oregon Red Line 552693 Round Trimmer Line for Low Grass - Spool: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools I've still got a couple left from when I bought several from Amazon for about half the price in those links, think it was a mis-price because the seller almost doubled their price after dispatching my order.

@clanless I'll try and find my large amount of 2.4mm line and if it's the right diameter and not a fortune in postage (we get free stamps from doing RM collection & delivery monitoring), you're welcome to it completely free of charge).

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
        Last edited: May 10, 2017
      • Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
        Ratings:
        +268
        • Useful Useful x 2
        • Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
          +599
          I face the same conundrum and found that thicker 3mm nylon line made no difference whatsoever. Someone suggested 2.4mm 'sqaure' nylon line from B&Q and it was a lot tougher but slowed the speed of the lightweight strimmer down noticeably, causing it to 'dig in' on lawns, leaving scalped patches. This is probably because the strimmer head couldn't reach a high enough speed for it to cut grass effectively.

Settled with 2.4mm Oregon Nylium Starline and this stuff is unbelievably strong and not too expensive considering the amount you get on a reel. It's nylon with aluminium interwoven into the string and is far more aerodynamic than square line. The aluminium content seems to make a big difference to the strength.

• Informative Informative x 1
          • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
            Ratings:
            +7,618
            This an interesting read - thanks for the link :dbgrtmb: - it looks like I have been doing all the wrong things - line is too thick and pushing the strimmer right up against the edging. I'll know for next time :smile:.

That's very kind of you Scrungee, thank you. The line I'm using at the moment is 1.6 mm, I think I need the 1.3 mm. It's only a cheap strimmer - so I don't think that it could handle 2.4 mm line - I do however very much appreciate the offer :thumbsup:.

• Scudo

Scudo Gardener

Retired layabout
            Ratings:
            +268
          • glasgowdan

glasgowdan Gardener

Ratings:
            +120
            The issue is cheap/soft line, not the thickness.

I have tried them all and have settled on Husqvarna Whisper X. It is a proper professional line and lasts well, cuts well and is, of course, quiet.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,259
            I just stick to Stihl as I've 3 brush cutters and the largest machine is the FS480.
            Can't say I notice any problem with wear as such, it's designed to wear down and to break so not to wrap around an object which would damage the tool and hurt you at the same time.
            I keep all spoils in the dark away from sun light as that will weaken the line over time.
            Never be tempted to fit a chain or wire only, it's a recipe for disaster.
            Ive also got blades which attach that I use for large areas of grass work but no good for general work.
            Along with the 480 I also have the KM130 and KM90. These are part of the Kombi setup from Stihl but the KM90 is the good old fashion 2 stroke unlike the 130 which is the 4 mix engine that requires the higher grade oil and has the pain in back valve issues. The 90 can be controlled speed wise where the 130 has very little control. I use far less line on the 90 as I can go gentle up against objects.