1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap Pots/Containers

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Dave W, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I grow most of my tomatoes and cucumbers in large pots in the greenhouse and found that I'd run out of big pots. Took a trip to B&Q to get a couple to discover the size of pots I wanted would cost nearly �£5 each. Said to Mrs W "I'm not paying that for a bit of plastic" and headed for the door, where I spotted big plastic buckets at under �£1. :D

Don't think my tomatoes will mind being grown in orange plastic!!

2. Johnny

Johnny Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent, I'm always looking for big pots myself, great idea.

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,963
    You reminded me Dave, back in the seventies I used to grow toms in the old party seven cans with the lids cutoff and a few drainage holes in the bottom.
    They didn't look too good (pots that is) but had loads of fruit.
    There's nothing new about recycling :D

4. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'd have liked to have tasted the tomatoes if you didn't empty the can first..........hic!

5. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    When i moved i needed around 100 large pots for my plants. but as you say pots were going to be expensive. So i bought buckets. drilled holes in the bottom and they were fine. But as i saaid on another thread. when i grow my toms and cues, swetcorn, courgettes etc in my polyt, i buy gro bags, fold them in half and cut through the top bit of plastic, Voila, 2 bags. one for each plant. Pat it into shape at the base so it stands alone. No extra expense. Well that's i you buy gro bags anyway. but hey 1.20 for two already filled containers, cheap at half the price of 2 buckets.

6. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Last autumn I got some good pots from Morrisons. They were the small buckets that held cut flowers in water. They just wanted to get rid of them at the end of the season and I bought about 60 for around �£3.

7. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
  8. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well its all your fault then pete! now I am having to pay 99p for 8 flower buckets at morrisons!

Less reasons to shop ar Morrisons - as they say ;)

9. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Actually, it didn't work out that cheap. Having told one or two people, they all said how much they would like some so I gave a few away - 6 here and half a dozen there etc! - soon the remaining ones that I had were a bit more expensive. :D

But, assuming they are the same ones - they are still good value Waco.

10. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Yes I agree, the problem I had with them (I have already discussed with Walnut) was gettting drainage holes in the bottom as the first ones (which actually didn't come from Morrisons but dustbin day in York for the asking)shatered when you tried to get holes in them.

11. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I tried drilling holes in the first few. I drilled the holes in the side at the bottom, so that it didn't sit on the hole - as the bottom was very flat. Drilling was not that easy. Then I tried burning holes, which I found to be rather better. I used a old large screwdriver which I heated on the gas ring of the cooker.

Thinking about it, I think I bought them in eights. I seem to remember that the price was halved as a special offer - I remember paying 49p for presumably 8.

12. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Hubby uses a welding iron for such.

Did you turn the buckets upside down for the job, and put your feet on either side to hold them in place?

13. Essexgardens

Essexgardens Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the pots from Morrison too. Use a very small drill first for a pilot hole and then go through with a large one but on slow speed. I shattered two before I worked it out!

14. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Excellent ideas, thankyou. The old party-sevens Pete? Wow, that brings back some memories but not of gardening, all the best

15. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Use a holesaw not a drill stand the pot on a piece of wood so the flat bottom is supported, drill from inside the pot go easy with the pressure ,I did 100 the other week all ok