1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheese plant question

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Fat Controller, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +49,606
    I have a cheese plant at the back of the living room, which has followed us in our house moves over the past five years or so. Its never been a stunner to be honest, so earlier this year I decided to re-pot it into a bigger pot. In doing so, I gained a baby one which is slowly growing in its own pot on the windowsill at the front now, and since re-potting the big one has gone a tad 'radio-rental' - I can only assume that it likes its new pot and its new location by the French doors as its got considerably bigger this year.

It has also put out loads of shoots, that look like they are roots or tendrils of some sort, which are now hanging down from various parts of the plant, so:

- other than fish, blood and bone (which I have given it), what should I be feeding it?

- should I be doing something with the plant or with these shoots it has sent out?

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
    It sounds as though you are already doing everything just right. I should try and see if you can manouvre these 'sideshoots' into pots of their own while still attached to the parent plant, hopefully roots will grow and then you can remove the kids from the Mammy.

Cheers, Tony.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    They are indestructible. I once found a stick on the beach while walking my dog. The stick had clearly been in the sea for some time. I was throwing it for the dog for a good half an hour or more before I realised there was a hint of root attached to it, so out of curiosity, I took it home and planted it up. Nothing happened for months, then it just grew and grew. We had it for a few years before my step mother decided to 'rehome' it because it was taking up too much space.

4. Daisies

Daisies Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,686
    Those tendrils are roots. In the wild, these things grow to a monstrous size and drop down roots to the forest floor to get water and to propagate! What I love about them is the leaves are 'born' fully formed! Had one for years but it didn't like the moves I made. didn't know much about gardening at the time!

In the hospital at High Wycombe, there used to be a mostera deliciosa that was all of 50 foot high, had numerous main stems and a veritable jungle of roots hanging down. The Vauxhall dealership in Sunderland has a similar one but half the size!

Found this one on Google but it's half the size of the one at Wycombe!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      I really like this plant, but am I right in thinking its kind of gone out of fashion?

• clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I think they did for a while but I think they're back in. Last time I was at my least favourite shop, I noticed they had a few in.

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
        Ratings:
        +49,606
        Wow! That is a cracker!

Should I be doing anything with the roots then? If I dug one into another pot, would it make another plant, or would I just end up with the one plant living off more than one pot?

• Pixie

Pixie Gardener

Ratings:
        +400
        I got sick of mine, growing wild, so i chopped the branches off and 6 months later, with no watering whatsoever it has grown 3 new branches - arrgh! :doh:

• Like Like x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +85,976
          You get one plant living in more than one pot.;)
          But the leaves just get bigger and better.:biggrin:

• Fat Controller

Public Transport
          Ratings:
          +49,606
          Ah, I'm not doing that then. I'll re-pot once more next year and try to encourage some of them into the same pot, and that will have to do it as I can only cope with one more size increase.

• Like Like x 1
          • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            And? :heehee:

FWIW I put mine outside in the garden during the summer. They will take quite a bit of cold (you'd need to check, but I think a light frost is survivable). Put it somewhere in the shade though.

Also, if it gets too tall just cut it right back; it will grow back with even bigger leaves. You can root the top bit (might need to air-layer before you cut it off?), or the Pups, but how many do you really want in the house?!!

Or grow it up a tree? :heehee:
            IMG_3508_Monstera.jpg

• Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,089
            And flog them on Ebay! Yay!

Definitely back in fashion, if not for houseplants then for exotic gardeners who want them as temporary summer bedding. So May would be a good time to list them.

Sorry, I should realise that not everyone's quite as obsessed with Ebay as me.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I had no idea that not everyone's quite as obsessed with Ebay as me. :heehee:

• catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
            Ratings:
            +2,250
            I just chop the root things off. If mine gets too big I cut a chunk off and root it in water and throw the old bit away.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
            +12,667
            I do that too ... ever since I discovered a root that I thought I had routed back into the pot had "Missed" and grown into, and under, the carpet ... made a right mess!

Wouldn't you be better off keeping the bottom half, rather than starting again from the rooting top half? You'll get much more impressive leaves, and it will start off with zero-height again.

Mind you, maybe even a single new leaf, and its stalk, would be too large?