1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea Flower Show 2018

Discussion in 'What To Do This Month' started by Mike Allen, May 16, 2018.

1. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,089
    I saw that. Sounded good and have to agree of course,reducing chemicals etc but then she added she didnt have a garden and lived in a flat.
    Kind of getting tired of hearing people telling gardeners what they should and shouldnt do when they dont garden themselves.
    Chelsea seems to be about what "celebs" think rather than what gardeners think?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,046
      Given that most of the chemicals we have today are pretty ineffectual compared to what we amateur gardeners could buy 10 or 20 years ago, I think things have gone too far. Yet farmers and growers still blanket spray - the ill-informed celebs need to wake up and look at what has been applied to their food they buy in the supermarkets or restaurants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,890
        I had to laugh today. They were talking about an Indian garden and Marigolds and showed pictures of an African Marigold ( Tagetes Erecta ) and the caption said " Calendula " . Surely even they should know the difference.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        I only watched snippets in the box. Yes some changes, if you could spot them. Nice to see new faces doing the chat. A bit more time with the exhibitors and their growing methods. I feel that so much time is taken up with the set garden designs. Once again as always. Take a look at the main avenue. Be honest. Imagine yourself in the middle of a fourteen person wide troupe. Ooops! I so wanted to see that exhibit. Missed it. Hey, I am saving on shoe leather. I'm being carried along, NO I want to go left. Never mind. IMHO taking into account what it costs exhibitors to set up at Chelsea. Add to this their skills etc. I have every confidence that a TWO week show could be undertaken.

• Like Like x 2
          Last edited: May 26, 2018
        • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
          Ratings:
          +6,097
          Hi John. I have done a lot of research on, GMO's and growth excellerants. Perhaps some might think this is not a gardening thing, but, gardening, farming etc. and medicine, obesity, diabetis there is such a close relationship

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          I've only watched a few recorded episodes of Chelsea .....bit samey, not enough about the plants and, of course, more than a little artificial but still enjoyable.

Nice to see Rachel de Thame make an appearance. She is battling cancer and I wish her well. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1