1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chelsea Flower show

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JohnD, Nov 25, 2014.

1. JohnD

JohnD Gardener

Ratings:
    +144
    We were thinking of going to the Chelsea flower show next year. Has anyone ever been to this event before. Tickets are pretty pricey but it's a once in a lifetime event. Maybe i'll join the RHS and get a discount on the tickets :scratch:

2. noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +14,311
    Hi JohnD, I used to go as a visitor and then as an exhibitor. For a one-off experience it's pretty impressive if you can avoid the days and times when it's most crowded. There didn't seem to be all that much difference between the RHS members days and the 'public' days.
    The big disappointment for me was the lack of plant sales and the OTT show gardens which over the years had less and less relevance to real gardening.
    If you want to see realistic, stunning displays of plants and pick up some wonderful bargains, then the NEC Birmingham and Hampton Court Palace shows are better.

• Like Like x 2
    • JohnD

JohnD Gardener

Ratings:
      +144
      Thanks very much Noisette. I will look into those events :blue thumb:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,361
      Hi John,

We used to do Chelsea every year for about thirty years but then found it got too expensive and much too crowded. It's brilliant if you can actually battle your way through the crowds. They're supposed to be restricting the number of tickets sold so that it doesn't get overcrowded but it's still too much for me.

If you do decide to go you can also tag on the Shiney Charity Open Garden day. We open our garden every end of May Bank holiday weekend (end of Chelsea Week).

Lots of GC members come from all over the country. It's a lot cheaper than Chelsea :heehee: and the people are really friendly, entertainment is good and all the proceeds go to a local charity and all the admin at the charity is done by volunteers, so none of the money is wasted. :blue thumb:

Last year we had 20 GC members turn up on the Saturday and some on the Sunday. Come and join us. :)

This is a link to a preview I put on GC about 6 years ago
      http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/sneak-preview-of-shineys-open-day.16514/

and this is last year's invite thread. I think the members' photos start about page 14.
      http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/special-invite-to-forum-members-2014.60888/page-13

We have a great weekend (some stay for the weekend, in B&B's) and we go off for a good curry in the evening.

• Like Like x 2
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,062
        I've been going on and off since the 70s, as others have said it has become very crowded in recent years. You'll love it if you are prepared to get there early and put up with queuing for the show gardens, the queues are long but bearable (compared to other leisure attractions).

I would advise you getting the tickets asap, last year they sold out very quickly. They go on public sale 1st Dec so it might be a good idea to join the RHS, not sure what the discount will be be but at least you will be assured of getting them for the day you want. I would go for a weekday to lessen the crowds. The RHS membership will get you into RHS gardens and if you have time I'd recommend going to Wisley, a much more relaxed experience - and of course come along and meet some of us at Shiney's garden too :)

• JWK

Ratings:
        +46,062
        I live near Wisley and could meet up there if you wanted some company or an unofficial guide :)

• Like Like x 1
        • noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,311
          Do you go back to the UK regularly JohnD? You probably wouldn't get the full benefit from RHS membership otherwise. The RHS monthly magazine used to be very, very good but as the subscription rates kept going up, I found that it just wasn't economical to continue my membership.

• JohnD

JohnD Gardener

Ratings:
          +144
          Thanks all for the feedback. It's definitely given me something to think about :scratch: Hi Noisette, i very rarely get back to the UK, however in the near future we would like to visit more of the country.

• noisette47

Ratings:
          +14,311
          In that case, a year's subscription would be worth the call:) If you should get a chance to go up to Norfolk, The Old Vicarage at East Ruston near Happisburgh has to be one of the best open gardens in all Britain! It's under the RHS umbrella now, I think.

• JWK

Ratings:
          +46,062
          Yes it's a great place to visit, GC had a meet up there last year :

http://gardenerscorner.co.uk/forum/threads/gc-meet-norfolk-east-ruston-will-giles-11-aug-2013.51942/

We got a small discount off the entry charge last year - I see that RHS members now get in for free on selected days - another bonus!

• Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
          +12,320
          tickets are on sale now for members only

• Like Like x 1
          • NCFCcrazy

NCFCcrazy Super Gardener

Bored office monkey
            Ratings:
            +1,051
            If you haven't been before, then I would say that you should definitely go and judge for yourself. Its a wonderful day out and an experience you will never forget. I have have had some amazing conversations with people I never thought I would meet, Sue from Crug was such a nice lady, we chatted for a good half hour.

However, that said, I don't disagree with any posters. I now go every couple of years as it can be very samey otherwise.

This year was the most disappointing so far, i felt like i had seen them all before. And the plant combinations on some gardens really irritated me, shady boggy plants mixed with full sun and sharp drainage. Looked good but just wouldnt work in a real garden. I saw one of my favourite plants used in the wrong place so often. I dont know if the designer didn't know or just didn't care.

I still enjoy it ad a day out though.

• Like Like x 1
            • Useful Useful x 1
            • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
              +12,320
              they normally get marked down when getting judged I hope they didn't have gold