1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry blossom tree.

Discussion in 'Trees' started by xf8u39, Nov 19, 2015.

1. xf8u39

xf8u39 Gardener

Mechanical Designer
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, I have purchased a cherry bloosom. I can't add a link to the Ebay item I bought due to lack of posts/likes etc.
    The tree is
    Prunus 'Kanzan' from Mailordertrees

It should be arriving any day now and I was wondering if now is a good time to plant it or should I wait until spring.
    If now is a good time I could use some hints and tips about the best planting method.

I have heard that the hole I excavate should be soaked in water before planting. I have also heard that pea gravel placed at the bottom of hole will help with drainage.

I live in a new build and beneath the 4" of top soil is about 5" of clay. Could this be a potential issue?

Thanks
    Michael

2. TreeTreeTree

TreeTreeTree I know sh!t about trees

Ratings:
    +247
    This is quite a concise and informative guide: https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/plant-trees/help-and-support/how-to-plant-trees/

Issues with clay soil are usually related to compaction, especially where new builds are concerned. Compacted clay soils retain water which can lead to waterlogging, anaerobic growing conditions and poor root development. I'd be inclined to dig out as much clay as possible and replace with organic-rich soil. If this is not an option then dig in as much well rotted manure into the soil prior to planting. This helps break up the clay particles.