1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry Laurel trees - leaf damage?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Joseph Boyes, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Joseph Boyes

Joseph Boyes Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I need some advice as I’m pretty new to the gardening world aside from the online self-taught knowledge (which can be dangerous and misleading).

I have 14 Cherry Laurel trees as pictured and my plan is create a floating hedge. The trees were planted in September 2019. I’ve started to notice some of the leaves have been going brown at the tip and some are discolouration - starting going yellow.

Note the images show the trees are not staked, but in reality they are all secured to the fence.

I have since carefully turned over the soil around the base to aid oxygen to the roots.

I am looking to get the water and soil ph checked.

Obviously I don’t want them to die and looking for advice on how to help them grow healthily.

Any guidance or wise words would be great!

thanx
    Joe

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Looks like older leaver turning Yellow? Being evergreen it will drop older leaves to make way for newer ones, so might be that?

Its been dry ... if you haven't watered, and your part of the country hasn't had rain recently, I would water.

I don't think they are Cherry Laurel - [aspect ratio of the] leaves not wide enough. Be interested what others thing.

3. Joseph Boyes

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Kristen,

Thank you for your response. Yeah most likely leafs are old ones so that provides assurance. I have watered more but I was just worried about over watering them because laurels don’t like ‘soggy feet’.

ref cherry Laurel, as I say I’m no expert but I purchased them as cherry laurels ‘Prunus Laurocerasus Otto Luyken’ what do you think they are? (I understand you maybe wrong) :)

again thanx
    Joe

4. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I think that's exactly what they are. Much nicer, narrow leafed, variety. I just wouldn't call them "cherry laurel", but its probably splitting hairs (and a very good reason to stick to Latin rather than common names :) )

This is my idea of Cherry laurel. A thug. Brighter green leaves, wider in the middle. I don't know who Otto Luyken was, but as Laurel's go he is much more handsome :)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Joseph Boyes

Ratings:
      +1
      Thanx Kristen. You seem an expert so I'll just monitor the watering, try and get the correct feed and check the ph, measure the drainage...I just don't want them to die because I know in time they will look lovely.

Joe
      ps I think the Otto Luyken is latin for cherry or plum... but you probably know that already

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Yeah, I'm good at that ... my advice is worth precisely what you paid for it :) but I would like to hope that when I say something daft in a public forum someone else will post an alternative suggestion. Plenty of learned people here know me well and would be forming an orderly queue to put me straight :)

Nope, I assumed that was the name of a Handsome Italian ... my classics teacher will be rolling in his grave, he took the top set, and I got an A at O'level, complete waste of his time!

I doubt they were cheap, either ...

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    • Joseph Boyes

Ratings:
      +1
      Yeah not too expensive as I got a good price on them... but cost / expense is relative.

others have come on since watering more... 2 are going full yellow in the leaf and the ground is too wet which suggests they have wet feet so I’ve stopped watering them and improved the drainage -hopefully that will do the trick

• Like Like x 1