1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cherry Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Riggaz, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Riggaz

Riggaz Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I think i jsut posted thi sin the wrong forum - here goes again!

Hi

I have a few small cherry tomato plants that i am going to move to a bigger pot tonight.

I have a large, long trough and i want to plant 4-5 plants.

I just wanted to check that i am doing it right

i was going to plant in this order

Tomato plant - 8-10inchs another plant - 8-10inchs Basil, then 8-10 inchs tomato then8-10 inch last tomato plant

Tomato--tomato--basil--tomato--tomato

is this going to be to much? Alternatively i was going to simply do one tomato plant - basil then tomato

i live in a flat so a pot is my only option

thoughts?

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you growing a pizza Riggaz ?:lollol:Sounds about right to me, the toms will overtake the basil eventually though.

3. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I think I would probably plant the basil in a pot of it's own to be honest. Tomato plants can get quite wide as they grow. I have just 4 in large pots in my greenhouse and the leaves overlap each other. Could you get 2 troughs with 2 per trough at all ?

4. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I would put the basil in a separate pot.
    Tomatoes like a lot of water but basil doesn't like (won't tolerate) water poured over its head. It gets on much better watered from the bottom.
    Tomatoes can be watered from the bottom too, but would your troughs allow that.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats true Alice. Splashed some of mine accidentally & got bad burn patches when the sun came round.

Tee Hee, you said "bottom" twice :hehe:

6. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0
    haha pizza - very funny, to be fair, more looking for fresh Bruschetta, but close!

Thanks for the tips, i have read that Basil is good close to tomatoes to help with flavour and staving off insects, i will take the basil out tonight

I have three plants in a 50 cm trough, should i take out the third one in the middle and replant the other two closer to the middle for space? I have a spare trough so this wont be a problem

Prefer not to do this as was hoping to put something else in the other pot instead, was hoping to grow sugar snap peas, is it an ok time of year to grow those?

thanks for the tips!

7. Riggaz

Ratings:
    +0