1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken and egg?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by "M", Mar 4, 2018.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Here's the headline: Supermarket shoppers post photos of empty shelves

Synopsis:
    Retailers say they are experiencing localised disruption because supplies could not be delivered in the snow.

Supermarkets also say they are experiencing high demand as people stock up after not being able to shop.

Most photos show bread, milk and eggs shortages, although other absent items include fruit, vegetables and meat.
    Is this due to "panic buying" or an inadequacy of operations management?

I totally understand how deliveries would have been affected by the recent weather conditions. Perfectly predictable - so does that make it avoidable?

I can also understand that the media focus on "warning, warning, warning" could lead to panic buying (aka higher demand).
    I'll won't dwell on the grammar :heehee:(people stock up AFTER not being able to shop :scratch: :dunno: :whistle: ) :rolleyes:

But what strikes me most is: why is this "news"? :dunno:

If you apply the same logic to the medical profession (deliveries affected; shortages) I can see why *that* would be news - it must have happened! Yet that isn't being reported.

What is the news report actually saying? Shortages of bread, milk, eggs; some fruit, veg and meat. I don't see "ready meals" or processed food on that list :heehee: No one is going to actually "starve".

Sometimes, media reports leave a lot to be desired!​

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,610
      It's panic buying! Having lived on an island in the middle of the Irish Sea it's something I was used to seeing with ferries not moving in bad weather. Bad weather equals panic at the shops and the media doesn't help the situation by frightening people with the worst scenario they can think up. Surprisingly the first thing to disappear were toilet rolls followed by bread.

I can quote from experience here. There are many people including myself a number of years ago that had to have temperature controlled medication (packed in frozen blocks) delivered to my door via a mail special delivery. If it was delayed that batch of very expensive medicine was rendered unfit for use and I'd have to wait for a second delivery up to a week later. For me it wasn't much of a problem but there are others that need medicine to keep them alive.

Hospitals/Doctors surgeries tend to have back up supplies but if there was a major incident they wouldn't last long. The age we live in is all about greed, take what you can when you can for yourself and let others worry about the medical profession, patients and medical supplies.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Jack Sparrow

Jack Sparrow Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +5,414
        I recently watched a tv programme called When Comedy Goes Wrong. Veteran chat show host Johnny Carson made a topical joke about paper being in short supply. He said that would result in a shortage of toilet paper. The population went berserk bulk buying toilet rolls. The shops couldn’t keep up with demand.

Johnny Carson Causes A Toilet Paper Shortage In 1973

G.

• Like Like x 1
        • Funny Funny x 1
        • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
          Ratings:
          +31,945
          Things are not stored like it used to be
          Bread is made daily and to shops requirments
          Milk is the same

Anything which is daily food is turn around daily so when people panic it is a day or two in which to make up demand then it can be over and the food wasted

Supply and demand

The supply chain is very tight, so, if shops up the orders the supply chain will have problems

so if a shop knows it's sells 5 milks it orders 5 or 6 milks but won't get any more till the next day

We always have 2 weeks of food in the house/frezzer, we buy milk for the week, we had no problems with no food as we had it in the house and no need to go out to get food

Edit
          There's a big bisuit makers which does not have a wherehouse to store it's bisuits, bisuits are make and sent out on lorrys to supermarkets wherehouses

• Like Like x 2
          • Agree Agree x 2
            Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,496
            I agree that this shouldn't be 'news'. :blue thumb:

It's typical media hype, aggravated by social media! (I try to keep away from voicing my opinion of social media :th scifD36: :doh: :wallbanging: :mute:)

There are no 'shortages', just certain products are currently in the wrong place because of access/delivery difficulties.

The hype generates unnecessary panic buying which is likely to just create food wastage as people 'stock up' with more than they need.

It's a problem for supermarkets to try and anticipate panic buying or shortages because of possible bad weather conditions. The big four multiples account for about 70% of all retail grocery. If you take into account the other multiples that figure rises to about 93%. They have to run their purchasing and deliveries on standard predictable procedures (taking into account seasonal variants). These are calculated by feedback from the tills and computers and deliveries are all decided by predetermined software parameters. Store managers can tweak these figures but not by much.

So, there's no chance of them pre-empting the 'possible' delivery problems and stocking up the stores. That's apart from the simple fact that the stores don't have extra capacity for storage and neither do the main supply bases for them.

Deliveries are also affected by how well the local authorities treat the roads.

All these things combine to create shortages but I blame the media for exacerbating the problem.

What bugged me even more in the link that you posted was the comment and link in that paper 'short-term hit to economic growth'. They did an article quoting a forecasting advisor for a forecasting group that said it would have a serious impact on the retail trade and force people to go to on-line shops (what a load of cobblers!). Then further down the feature said "important to bear in mind that much of the lost activity will eventually be recouped". What a load of idiots!!! :doh:

• Like Like x 2
            • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
              Ratings:
              +118,496
              Well said. :thumbsup:

Under normal circumstances I would have agreed with you but we had just got back from a two week holiday when the bad weather hit. So we had virtually no fruit or veg - I'm sure we could manage without those items :).

The next day, snow heavy in our garden, all the local media were advising not to go out onto the jammed up roads. So I did a little bit of phoning around. I spoke to friends who lived on the roads from our rural location to the town. Very little traffic but the road surfaces were OK - well done local authority :yay:. I had an easy drive into town, virtually no traffic on the road, passed four schools that were closed :rolleyespink: :doh:, parked in a nearly empty car park at the supermarket (about 5" or 6" of snow on the ground with sand and salt on it) and shelves fully stocked apart from not having any blueberries.

I did my normal shop, had a chat with the manager who said that people seemed to have been scared away by the weather/road condition reports and he'd been getting a lot of phone calls asking whether there was snow in the car park. :heehee:

• Like Like x 3
              • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                Ratings:
                +31,945
                Well, went shopping yesturday, and some shelves M T, bread shelves the worst and being that some of the bakers are only 10 miles away and we only had badish roads for one day !!!!!!!!!!!!!! they still couldn't get there :snorky: with 3 days of clear roads :th scifD36:

But there was lots of bananas and pineapples etc which comes from the other side of the world :th scifD36::dunno:

Alot of companys use agency drivers which some will refuse to go out or they will not drive that old lorry :sofa:"busted"

• Like Like x 2
                • Informative Informative x 1
                  Last edited: Mar 7, 2018