1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken house and run requirements

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by clueless1, Jul 21, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Good afternoon all.

I'm at a point now where I can start getting ready to get some chucks. We plan to keep 3 chickens.

How big will their house need to be?

Also, how big will their outdoor run need to be?

I can't give them much space, but I'd like to give them enough room to be happy chucks.

2. clueless1

Ratings:
    +19,596
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • honeybunny

honeybunny Head Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,915
      looks like a very good informative site but 7.5 sq ft run space per bantam as well as an additional 3 ft each inside the coop! is that not a tad excessive! considering its recommended to get a trio so that's a 22.5 ft run & 9ft coop for three wee little bantams! seriously! :thud:

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      I've got that site bookmarked, but think their coop space requirements (if your hens have access to covered space when it rains) are excessive. I also believe it's a good idea to construct for one more hen than (the 3) planned as this will help minimise problems with future introductions of new hens.

If I haven't (and you want) our coop space/perch length/run area/etc. per hen, and I haven't posted by end tomorrow, then tag me.

P.S. Don't go by commercial hen coop sellers space standards!

• clueless1

Ratings:
      +19,596
      I measured the intended area earlier. Its not quite rectangular, but the shortest two sides are 11ft x 10ft, so realistically, an area of 110 sq ft. According to that article, that gives me room for 110 / 4 = about 27 chickens. That's way, way more than I intend to get, even allowing for spontaneous purchases if my dad drags me along to the auctions.

• rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,946
      I'm in the process of building my coop and run. Everything I have read and been told is to give them as much outdoor space as possible and to build bigger than you need as keeping chickens is addictive. My coop is 5ft x 3ft, but I am using internal nest boxes so the floor space is 4ft x 3 ft. The run is a little over 9ft x 12ft. I will be getting 4 chickens to start. If you plan on free ranging the birds daily then the run could be smaller is what I am led to believe, but mine will not fee range until at least next year as they would escape from the garden. Are you going to build the coop yourself?

Rusty

• Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
      +28,997
      Our 6 (hybrid) hen arrangements:

hens.png

As their run is secure (fox & rat proof) plus roofed, the pop hole is left open overnight whenever the weather is suitable so there's no need to get up early to pop them, and with that roof they have no need/desire to spend any time 'indoors' other than when roosting or laying.

Only one nest box can lead to 'nest box rage' with one or more hens standing outside crowing with outrage because another hen is in it, which will delay their egg laying and reduce egg production.

If the run is high enough to walk in it will make cleaning so much easier plus enable you/children to spend time sitting in there with hens on your lap (covered with an old towel for obvious reasons) feeding from your hand, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1