1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chicken ranging

Discussion in 'Livestock' started by Benzombie, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Benzombie

Benzombie Apprentice Gardener

Full time
    Ratings:
    +7
    We have four chickens that get let out occasionally and the problem I have is they tend to kick up a lot of the stones from the borders they go in no matter how much I tut and kick some remain when I mow and can trample less robust plants flat. Much as I imagine elephants do.

Can anyone recommend either some sturdy border plants that can hold their own when it comes to chickens nosing for grubs (I should say the chickens don't eat the plants), and as a bonus a good way to keep the border soil/stones in the border? I have half a mind to

a - try a long low hedge to run the length of the border they bother with, but those look pricey
    b - I imagine plants that die off in winter and grow back in spring are off the menu too (bit worried about the new daff bulbs I planted in a moment of rash madness under the apple tree won't cope with their rummaging)

Thanks chaps (quite like the chickens apart from that!)

2. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Benzombie and Welcome to GC:dbgrtmb:

you could try pinning down some chicken wire on top of the soil approx 6 to 10 inches in depth from the edge of the lawn on the border...that stops them...and on particular borders where they try to murder plants i've resorted to 3ft green plastic coated fencing to keep them off it...:dbgrtmb::chicken:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
      Ratings:
      +31,177
      Good morning Benzombie,
      :sign0016: to Gardeners Corner. Hope you are enjoying wandering around our garden,
      Jenny namaste

• Benzombie

Benzombie Apprentice Gardener

Full time
      Ratings:
      +7
      Thanks ladies, food for thought. We have a faux wooden white picket fence around the little ones veg bed (pure class) and I'd never really thought about how anti chicken that's proven. Maybe there's a compromise between form and function?

• "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Compromise is most definitely the answer! :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 1