1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

CHILDRENS GARDENING SURVEY

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ARMANDII, Apr 27, 2012.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    Some members were not happy with a recent Thread with the aforementioned title and have complained about it, especially with regard to some of the questions. Aesculus spotted it very quickly and moderated the link in the thread so that it couldn't be used. But due to further unhappy comments by members in the thread I have taken it from Public View while it is dealt with by Admin.:paladin:

• Like Like x 3
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,596
      Good work Armandii, but to be honest if I was an admin, I wouldn't spend any time on it. The person that posted it has probably long gone. The same post is probably on many forums by now.

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
      +100,836
      True, Clueless, but an Admin's gotta do what a Admin's gotta do!!:snork::coffee: And it's better there's an explanation as to whats happened to the offending thread.:paladin:

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest what you are doing is no good, I just meant that I suspect the poster probably just join here, stuck their link on, and moved onto the next site, using us as simply another avenue to expose their survey, and probably will never even visit GC again.

You and all the mods and admins do a cracking job of keeping this site nice:)

• Aesculus

Aesculus Bureaucrat 34 (Admin)

Cashier
        Ratings:
        +1,337
        Don't worry clueless we don't spend much time on them they get a pm telling them to get in touch and if they don't then we ban the account ;-)

Sent from my Android Smart Phone

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Thanks Clueless. I honestly didn't take your comments the wrong way!!:heehee: What I was trying to say was that Admin have to follow the rules and protocols of GC even more than members so that we're seen to be open, neutral and unbiased. So, even though I was taught in the RAF to be independent and a bit of a "rebel", I have to follow the procedures, along with the rest of the Gang, to the "bitter" end.
          As for keeping the site nice, I would say that in reality it's 50/50 effort between Admin and members. So let me say thank you to you all.:thumbsup::snork:

• Like Like x 1
          • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            I is Naughty Admin now and having just got back from the pub I want to say you (the members) is all good and I is well impressed how you handle bad bad posters on here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,836
              You just can't take him anywhere, can you??!!!:nonofinger::snork::ccheers::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

• Like Like x 1
              • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                +0
              • watergarden

watergarden have left the forum because...i'm a sad case

Ratings:
                +549
                I saw the thread and the survey and found it to be a waste of time, but I would ask why some and not others?
                That one was removed but yet another from a TV company was allowed to run? as was one from a student.

Since most of those who post surveys or questionnaires never give feed back, (or just stop posting half way through) why not have a rule that says, "No surveys or questionnaires from anyone" That way any survey or questionnaire can be deleted instantly with no worry.

• clueless1

Ratings:
                +19,596
                I like that we sometimes get surveys on here. In fact we have the 'Ask <username>' sections somewhere kicking about as a sort of long standing survey. We've had a few interesting ones on here too.

I can't speak for others, but the thing that got my goat with this particular one was that it was not the usual 'I'm a student reinventing the wheel' type one, it was a commercial thing. To me, that in itself is not a bad thing, but when someone comes along and effectively says 'Hi all, I can't even be bothered to introduce myself and I have no intention of ever contributing to your community, but can I please have the benefit of your wisdom and diverse experience completely for free so I can use it for my own commercial gain without even acknowledging your existence?', its just a tiny bit cheeky. If you get stopped in the street for your opinions, at least half the time you at least get offered a Twix.

• Like Like x 2
                • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                  +100,836
                  I think you missed the point of members complaints and suspicions about the survey, watergarden.:scratch: They regarded the "area" of survey as being sensitive and perhaps wrongly motivated....if you understand my meaning. They were worried and suspicious of questions asking them about children and as some of them said they didn't like some of the questions nor did they want to answer them.

We have a policy about "surveys" and taken them on in a case by case basis. You'd be surprised just how requests for surveys we get and how many are just plonked into a thread without permission and if we don't spot them then members do.
                  Surveys from Students are questioned, as are all others, and we try to identify the originator to make sure it's genuine.

Some of the surveys could be of interest to members in certain gardening areas, so I don't think a mandatory view of none at all is helpful, but all surveys, when, found are subject to vetting and suitability. As regards to "feedback" a person who posts such a survey is asking for feedback from members and so it's purpose and intention isn't to give us feedback.

We try our best to catch and vet survey's and with members help we do. But one thing I do know.....we won't please all of the people all of the time:snork:

• Like Like x 2
                  • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
                    Ratings:
                    +31,177
                    I trust you at GC to manage and you do it so well.
                    Thank you,
                    Jenny namaste

• Like Like x 3
                    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +52,594
                      It's been said before that the members of GC are like a big family, let's keep it that way. Ousting the dodgey threads/new members is the responsibility of all of us if we are to keep our family safe. :) :grphg:

• Like Like x 5
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,836
                        Thanks Jenny and Sheal:snork: You're absolutely right, Sheal:snork:, you can borrow my Tin Hat and Rifle anytime:paladin::snork:

• Like Like x 2