1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

chilli & peppers growing help

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by cattwoman25, Mar 9, 2008.

1. cattwoman25

cattwoman25 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    good morning all hope your all well [​IMG]

well i thought i would post this just on the off chance it helps anyone

i have read on here a few times people having problems with getting chillis & peppers to get going

so i thought i would let you know how i do it as so far i have grown 16 pots so far (8 chillis & 8 peppers) i started mine on the 2nd feb

i am addicted to potnoodles so decided to save the pots as they are quite good for sowing in :D

filled them with compost gave them a good soaking with warm water placed 2 chilli seeds in did'nt cover them a great deal with compost only slighty

and then put clingfilm over the top of the pot

now i have a double radiator next to a window which i placed all the pots on which they stayed warm when the heating is on and then cool at night when its off and within 3/5 days they had all come up.

i did grow them last yr as well but that was my first time and i put them in a pot with no clingfilm and not on the radiator and they took over 3 weeks to come up i was'nt far off binning them and starting again [​IMG]

anyway hope that does help someone a little

thanks for reading :D

2. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks cattwoman 25 this is my first year with
    chilli i started mine on the 5Th march in gh got them covered with paper and flees but think i will give the clingfilm a go [​IMG]

3. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    nice tip CW [​IMG]

Haven't tried clingfilm before - will do so this week. 5 sweetpeppers and 2 cayenne pepper plants (out of about 20 or so) survived overwintering. They're all Anuum types, which according to http://www.thechileman.org/index.php
    can be a bit tricky.....
    All the plants that survived were removed from the greenhouse before the first frosts last year, and possibly significantly had borne all their fruit already, and were developing small new leaves on the main stem. All the others pegged it - so that might be a way to keep them going.

The brown and red peppers already have grown new shoots up to 6" tall, and have been kept on a sunny windowsill, just above a radiator.

just my 2p worth ;)

cheers,
    Dave

4. Synthhead

Synthhead Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oops, nearly forgot - the stems were cut back to about 1/2 or 2/3 their height, to just above a big cluster of leaves, often where the stem forks. Despite the name Anuum, apparently peppers are perrenial, and will give better crops in years 2 -5 than the first year! Well, I guess we'll find out this year.....

cheers,
    Dave

5. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,497
  6. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Ah another oxymoron - 'edible chilli'. :D

7. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    It's not an oxymoron if you are a chilli moron like me [​IMG] :D I usually eat at least one chilli per day and sometimes three or four [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Shiney, I got heartburn just reading that. [​IMG]

9. Sarraceniac

Sarraceniac Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    With professional hat on I can say they are very good on anti-oxidants. Reports are they help reduce blood pressure so should increase longevity. Of course I am not a toxicologist. :D

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Got any spare Losec, John? :D

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +118,497
    They increase longevity as long as they don't kill you first [​IMG] :eek: :D

12. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    I put 5 thin slices of a Habanera Orange chilli (one of last years) on my half of a home made pizza. That was 2 weeks ago, I can still feel it burning, I lost 2 pints in perspiration. :D
    I think Jalapenos and Cayennes are as hot as I can go. ;)

13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,919
    T'other half is a Habanera freak ... Jalapenos are his mild things with Cayenne on everything from scrambled eggs to God only knows what.

Strongy, you cannot afford to lose 2 pints in perspiration ... on the other hand, I am working on it working up for the "big one". :D