1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

chinese cabbage flowering is this normal?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by lowrider69, May 23, 2018.

1. lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
    Ratings:
    +174
    My chinese cabbage has developed a high yellow flower on top is this normal? or should I cut them off so the energy goes into more leaf?

• Like Like x 1
    • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
      Ratings:
      +174
      thought I would add a photo see if anyone could advise me on my cabbage my 1st time growing these are they no good anymore do you think? I think since the flowers come up they have stopped being bunchy

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        Hi @lowrider69 aww very sad but no they have now gone to seed so I would pull them up and start again.. Sad but looks like they bolted..
        Most plants bolt due to hot weather. When the ground temperature goes above a certain temperature, this flips a switch in the plant to produce flowers and seeds very rapidly and to abandon leaf growth almost completely. Bolting is a survival mechanism in a plant. If the weather get to be above where the plant will survive, it will try to produce the next generation seeds as quickly as poss.. Bolting can be prevented by either planting early in the spring so that bolt-prone plants grow during late spring, or late in the summer so they grow during early fall. You can also add mulch and ground cover to the area, as well as watering regularly in order to keep the soil temperature down. Sadly leafy veg and a lot of herbs are very prone to it once the hot weather arrives.. You can use the leaves rather than just toss it all away, but you need to start again I am afraid.. :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
        • Informative Informative x 1
        • misterQ

misterQ Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,782
          Yes, this is normal for oriental leaf vegetables and, as Marley Farley says, they have bolted.

You can cut off the flower stalk but the base won't develop much further. So, you might as well harvest them now - incidentally, all parts of the plant including the flowers are edible.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • lowrider69

lowrider69 Gardener

Disabled
            Ratings:
            +174
            ahhh right I thought this was the case oh well we live and learn will pull them up and think of something else to put in there, thanks for the info

• Like Like x 1