1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chinese lantern tips

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by SimonZ, Sep 11, 2020.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Wondering if anyone has any tips re Physalis alkekengi? I live in a wet climate, and it doesn't seem to have taken too kindly to being wet. I've never grown them successfully before (ie looking a bit sodden) DSCF4552.JPG DSCF4553.JPG

2. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    Just thought I'd revive this for a moment in case anyone who can help missed it. I'm watering to the roots but notice a couple of the lanterns have begun to fray a little. Wondering if that's just "wear and tear" or if I can ameliorate in some way. Interested to hear from people who have grown these before. DSCF4687.JPG

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,361
    Sorry, but I can't really help. Ours are in a very dry bed, against a wall and West facing. They grow like mad and spread like mad! We don't feed them and just put a little garden compost down every five years or so - if we remember. The bed they're in is 25ft long and 4ft wide and they're jam packed and try to grow up through the paving alongside.

We have such a large area of them because Mrs Shiney uses them in flower arranging.

So I'm guessing that they prefer dry and poor soil conditions. :noidea:
    P1490683.JPG

P1000044.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
      +746
      Disaster has struck. DSCF4819.JPG DSCF4818.JPG

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,361
        Oh dear! :sad:

That doesn't look like mosaic virus, which is the main disease that affects chinese lanterns, nor wilt which is likely to affect the leaves first.

It's possible that they have been affected by the weather but I've never seen it like that.

A bit late now but I would have picked them when they first coloured up.