1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Chopping back

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by JJ28, Sep 20, 2014.

1. JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
    Ratings:
    +772
    Please could anyone offer advice on when to start pruning? My new garden had 7 years' worth of growth when I moved in; grass, weeds were strimmed back to the ground and gradually being further dealt with. However I left shrubby things to their own devices as sort of thought summer wasn't the right time to attack them. I'm now itching to take everything back to a new bud quite low down...but not sure if I should let myself loose just yet. I know not to prune hydrangea till next spring but everything else is a general mystery. I'd really appreciate experienced, knowledgeable thoughts on this....thank you.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,541
    As a general rule it is best to prune when the shrubs are dormant (when they've lost their leaves for winter) but some plants are best pruned just after they've finished flowering. See how you go and if there are any you're not sure about then feel free to ask. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Do you know what the shrubs are yet? If not post a picture up and we shall try and id them for you. Some might be evergreens and if so can usually be cut back any time.

• HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +3,257
      Generally better to wait until things are dormant so try to resist temptation until January/February. Some shrubs, eg pyracanthus, cotoneaster, holly, are tough enough to be pruned at any time but you may miss a season's flowers/berries if you cut hard back now.

• JJ28

JJ28 Gardener

the best - retired
      Ratings:
      +772
      Thank you for the advice - secateurs back to hanging on a nail, hopefully out of sight, out of mind, for a while longer.

• Like Like x 1
      • sue young

sue young Gardener

Ratings:
        +60
        Ive wondered about this too ... my large garden is bordered on two sides by all manner of huge/overgrown trees and bushes!

• Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
        +21,666