1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Christmas cactus

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by Celia, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I have three Christmas cactus, 2 have never flowered particularly well but the 3rd and oldest has been a good flowerer until this year. It has only 2 flower buds at the moment. When these have finished, if no more appear, should I repot the cactus? It has been in the same pot for about 6 years, I always thought that they liked to be pot-bound but now I'm not so sure.

2. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Good morning Celia ,I am now down to three xmas cacti as I took cutting two yrs ago for a fundraiser as my plants were starting to look old and very woody but did always bloom for me.

Also gave my oldest cacti that used to be my Mums and did get too big for me.

Passed it on to out local hospital coming up for a year where I give theraputic red cross hand care in the wards.

Did cheer ward up its nice to share with them.

I normally put my cacti outside all summer got this tip frommy MIL.

I took my plants in about a month ago and one of them do have to say is full of buds sure its my white cacti.

This is even early fo rher to bloom as she can perform very well near and after xmas.

Shall take a photo.

Happy to share a tip cutting but will now need to wait until past flowering Celia.

3. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    [​IMG]

As you can see Celia she is in full bud.

4. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    May well like to be pot-bound, Celia - but could have used up all the nutrients, if you don't feed it . Might be worth trying if you haven't already?

5. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +6,953
    My Christmas Cactus(Schlumbergera) never lets me down I leave it out side all summer and bring it in about this time,it does seem to flower earlier each year though.Just took these pics.

[​IMG]

Close up....
    [​IMG]

6. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,474
    That's a fantastic specimen Roders, they do benefit from being outside and as you probably know, must never be moved once the buds have started to develop. A major problem when buying these plants from a shop or a GC is the movement will cause the buds to drop.

7. Scotkat

Scotkat Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +827
    Spectacular Roders that was about the size mine was last year when I donated it to the lounge of our local hospital at Christmas to give teh patients some pleasure.

8. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    A lovely plant, Roders - covered in flowers, and such a glorious colour!

Didn't know that, Strongy - although I have to admit I've never had to move one at that stage. Any idea what makes them do that?

9. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Wonderful plant and flowers. I hope mine does well this year - I made the mistake of moving it a year or so ago, and it took huff. Its now back where it was.

10. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lovely photos I shalln't post one of mine as it is looking very weedy in comparison. I have been feeding them for a couple of weeks now but I shall certainly try putting them outside next summer. They usually live on the kitchen window cill but I've had to move them as the window is about to be blocked up. Their new home isn't quite as sunny but after reading your tales I hope they don't get too mardy and the two flowers I have fall off!

11. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,474
    I think the flowers may be phototropic ie turn towards the light, this usually happens when the buds are a couple of cms or more. [​IMG]

12. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    I can believe that, S, but why should that make the buds drop if they're moved? Seems an odd reaction... if the main thing with a plant is to produce flowers to reproduce - why should they have a problem like this? Or maybe where they're at home they have little wind, or anything else that would move them at all??

13. frogesque

frogesque Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Scotcat & rodders: Fantastic plants! Think I'll give up growing them now :D

14. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Ratings:
    +172
    You've turned into a bottle brush, Strongy! Does that mean we'll ahve to call you Cally now?? :rolleyes:

15. gofoit2

gofoit2 Gardener

Gone past the age of working so just enjoying myse
    Ratings:
    +1
    The one I have, the first year was a lovely red just like the picture posted above by roders, but for the last two years it has lost the red colour and only produces white flowers, do anybody know why please? Do it need a special feed now and again to keep the colour?

Trevor