1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

christmas potato

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by birdy, Aug 7, 2005.

1. birdy

birdy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi is there anyone out there trying to grow a Christmas potato in a pot or bag if so how are they doing it.
    Its my first post Be gentle

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry can't help with this, though I am sure someone can. But be assured, we are always gentle. [​IMG]

3. birdy

Ratings:
    +0
  4. Mooseas

Mooseas Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Birdy,
    Just plant like normal spuds, try to keep them from frost later in the year. It's getting a little late in the season, so you'll need to be quick.
    Cheers
    Rob

5. birdy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rob
    I aready have one growing and it wont stop growing I think it will be ready before Christmas I am going to plant another one today.

6. Oli

Oli Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I was intrigued by this - never heard of Christmas Potato. Are they ready as they suggest at Christmas? Where can you get them from and do you plant them in pots, bags or in the garden? Our Potatoes never came to anything so would be interested in getting some of these.

Thanks
    Oli

7. birdy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Oli
    I am no expert but all I do is put a potato that is shooting in a pot(quite large) and keep topping it up as the shoots appear, and when it gets to the top of the pot leave it to grow as normal. The main thing is to cover it when frost is in the air, and hey presto on Christmas day turn it out of the pot and new pots for Christmas dinner.
    GO FOR IT. ASAP