Cimicifuga racemosa......in a pot

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Snorky85, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
    Ratings:
    +10,844
    Just wondering if this does well in a pot? Has anyone had success? Also, does it smell bad? I've read in a couple of books that bugbane can smell a bit bad.

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I have two slightly different varieties, 1 with white flowers and another which grows slightly smaller but has pink flowers. I have never smelt a thing off them to be honest!. Re in a pot, never grown it that way but they do like pretty moist conditions. I'm not too sure as to why you would want to grow it in a pot other than you don't have a garden with flowerbeds./don't have an alternative. To me it looks best in amongst other herbaceous plants, but that's only my opinion. I am often amazed at what I read about plants. often it is completely different to what I experienced.
    There is a species Lily which is very very pretty but it is proported to have a horrible smell in flower. Well mine don't unless my nose doesn't work!:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
      Ratings:
      +10,844
      Thanks @silu I've got loads of beds but this plant would be for a little side project I'm planning. Down the side of my house I've got a partially shady pathway and I plan to have a green/white colour scheme.

I've planned on some ferns in hanging baskets, pots of white cyclamen on the walls and wanted a tall white flowering plant as something a bit extra. Saw Cimicifuga in a book and thought it might do? I like the tall spikey look and thought a large pot full of it might work.

Keeping it moist wouldn't br a problem as I have a watering system running along the area.

Did you have any other plant suggestions?

IMG_6515.JPG

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      Hi,
      Certainly Cimicifuga is a great plant. I am very keen on foliage above the importance of flowers which are so fleeting or can be. Cimicifuga has gorgeous foliage which makes a statement altho with the brown background of the fence maybe not so much?
      I am a fan of Hostas which give you lovely foliage for ages and many have white flowers. They will tolerate semi shade. If water isn't a problem then they could be nice and happy in pots. Slugs won't like your gravel area so shouldn't be too bad.
      Off the top of my head how about Libertia? it does ok in pots, nice swordlike foliage and white flowers. Not as tall as Cimicfuga but not short either. White Lupins as nice but not very long lived. Maybe have a look at the hardy Chrysanthemum family. Quite a few different white flowered varieties. Some aren't just like big daisies! There are attractive doubles and ones with spikey petals. White Alliums are good in pots and for a little winter interest you could go for white flowering winter heathers. I am not a fan particularly, despite being Scottish! but winter flowering are to my mind a better bet than summer as there are so many other plants which flower then, who needs heathers in Summer!? many that are sold aren't that hardy either. People think Heather and think hard as old boots when in fact some of the summer flowering originate from The Mediteranian. Of course a few Snowdrops are always lovely at this time of the year, I have 1000s and 1000s. and so lucky to have so many. They don't like getting dried out so maybe tricky in pots?
      I got some Galtonia last season which were really lovely. I grew some in pots and have planted some in the garden. The pots are in the greenhouse over winter the ones in the ground:fingers crossed: as they aren't that hardy. With you being in Buckinghamshire (the county I was born in!) they should be ok left ourt in pots.
      That's it off the top of my head. You don't say the time you want things to be flowering so tried to think of things flowering throughout the years.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
        Ratings:
        +10,844
        Wow @silu that is fantastic!! Just the kind of advice I needed. Going to get my book out later and look up your suggestions. I'm happy to have several pots that I can change with the seasons for all year round interest.

Excited about putting this all together. :snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1