Clematis armandii

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by merleworld, Apr 6, 2012.

1. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I bought a Clematis armandii yesterday :)

Whilst doing a bit of Googling, I came across this article which states that:

Bob Brown, from Cotswold Garden Flowers, firmly believes that clematis armandii will thrive on a north-facing wall and I really do not see why it shouldn’t, so bearing in mind that I now have considerable wall space to fill in the garden here, I shall try this for myself.

Any thoughts? Has anybody grown it in a shady spot and how well (or not) did it do? :huh:

I actually bought it for a north facing fence - or more accurately to climb along some trellis at the top of the fence. I figure by the time it's at the top of the fence it's going to be getting sun all day in any case and if it doesn't grow there, then I'll have learned something else (part of what gardening's all about for me, trial and error).

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    I have mine on a west facing wall Merle. Aramandii will be along in a while with some advice.
    This site recommends a North or West aspect for Armandii - just type your clematis name in the search box on the right :blue thumb:
    http://www.clematis.com.pl/wms/wmsg.php/

3. gcc3663

gcc3663 Knackered Grandad trying to keep up with a 4yr old

Ratings:
    +1,663
    Ask Armandii.
    I seem to recall he knows a bit about this plant. After all he got his name from somewhere:snork:

4. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    Hi Merleworld. My armandii has a west facing fence but it is in a very shady spot because it is in shadow from the house for part of the day. This has never been a problem to it. It blooms very well. It's a strong grower and, as you say, will always find the sunshine eventually. This may mean, however, bare ugly stems with a pom pom of leaves and flowers on the top. It doesn't matter too much if you are growing things in front of it which hide its spindly bits. It can be a bit of a monster, but I've found it responds well to a crew cut now and again.

5. merleworld

Ratings:
    +4,087
    Thanks all :blue thumb:

ClaraLou it will have Camellias in the border in front of it, so it doesn't matter if the bottom bits are bare :)

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,834
      Missed this thread for some reason:scratch::snork: Yes, Clematis Armandii will do well in most positions. A northern aspect should be okay so long as there is not a really bad exposure to the wind. It's a evergreen but does cast off some leaves every now and then. It also likes a good regular feed but even without that will spread quite far and quite rapidly. It does well on fences and will climb happily along them. I gave one to my friend's wife in Stockton-on-Tees two years ago and she has put it on her North fence where it's doing well. It's a really good Clematis.:love30::love30: Mine repeat flowers every year and the scent will stop you in your tracks on a warm evening.....gorgeous.!!:snork:

• Like Like x 1
      • merleworld

Ratings:
        +4,087
        Thanks Armandii :ThankYou:

What would you suggest feeding it?

• *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        another question ....

which is the better .... the normal Clematis Armandii, or the Clematis Armandii Apple blossom?

I have planted both (the apple blossom only recently) .... it is still in bloom, but not much fragrance from the flowers ...(I have only tried smelling during the day, so perhaps it smells stronger at night?)

I find that the normal Clematis Armandii also looks a bit shabby at times with lots of brown leaves that eventually fall off

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +2,729
        Like jasmine, the smell is stronger at night/in early morning and needs still, warm air to really do its stuff. It can look a bit tatty out of season.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
          +100,834
          I feed all 14 of my Clematis, including the Armandii, a weekly dose of Miracle Grow until they're budding and then a weekly feed of weak Tomato Feed, Merleworld, and that seems to work. I do have them packed closely together on both sides of the Trellis Archway and while Clematis Armandii is the dominant one the others mingle quite happily with it.:snork:

I would never judge either of the Armandii's you mention, dim, to be better than the other, as it all comes down to personal choice.:snork: You're right about the browning of the leaves but when I'm ambling along in the garden, doing some tidying up and dead heading where needed, I just remove the brown leaves and stick them of the compost, so it's no chore.

I find plants give out scent more strongly in the warmth of the sunshine and just as the Sun is going down. The Osmanthus is still blooming and still stopping me in my tracks as I pass it with it's scent.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
          • merleworld

Ratings:
            +4,087
            Thanks Armandii :blue thumb:

I mixed a small amount of bonemeal into the planting hole and near the top of the hole I mixed in some Miracle Gro slow release pellets around the drip line.

I do have some tomato feed too which I've bought specifically for the other Clematis so as and when it flowers (won't be this year) then I'll give it some of that too :cool:

I do have some other Clematis (including a montana) that I'd like to plant along the same fence, so it's nice to hear that they can exist in harmony :SUNsmile:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Another question Armandii.....would it be ok to mulch my Armandii with manure?...

• ARMANDII

Ratings:
            +100,834
            Hi lolimac, so long as it's not fresh manure but properly decayed then the more the merrier as it will help hold moisture around the root area. One thing I have learnt about Clematis, in fact it unlocked the success I have with them, is to plant them fairly deep. Normal Clematis go six inches below the surface of the soil, while Clematis Armandii go deeper. The reason for the extra depth with Clematis Armandii is that while it is a tough plant it doesn't like it extremely cold. I also mulch the root areas with straw etc in the Winter for extra protection.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
            • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Thanks very much:dbgrtmb:
              We've got to look after our Armandii's eh....:love30:

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,834