1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis group 3

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Oakapple, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Oakapple

Oakapple Gardener

Tea and biscuit carrier
    Ratings:
    +247
    Am looking for a reliable clematis in group 3, Summer flowering to grow up a tripod about 6 feet in height.Any colour, but just something easily obtained from a garden centre that does well, but not over vigorous.Any suggestions please?

2. Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +8,492
    Not particularly that size its a bit small if you want 6ft or lower for the vast majority of group 3 clematis . Maybe look into the integrifolia group they are smaller but hard to find than some of the viticella group , maybe also the texenis group like kate / diana but again not something you'll pick up at the supermarket or even a garden centre . Mostly like ones you'll find in garden centres are like jackmii - julia correvon - polish spirt and others . When I go garden centre I take a picture sometimes on my phone so I know what stock they have on certain plants while I have a think about it , sometimes I hide them at the back if want them but can carry them on the day :heehee: , you can research or ask on here about some varieties you've een. . One clematis has come to mind I ponderd about before that may fit the bill Clematis recta its more shrubby like but it should grow through a obelisk

• Informative Informative x 1
    • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +14,309
      Perki wrote what I was thinking :biggrin: I was going to suggest viticella or texensis but most viticellas are quite vigorous, and texensis not very common. If you could order online, Taylor's Clematis have an enormous choice of well-grown plants.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +16,246
        A 2m clematis are sometimes called patio clematis, so they are ideal for planting in a container.
        Taylors clematis has a wonderful searchable database of clematis plants. Just use the search filters on top of the page or in the left hand column.
        5 - 6ft (1.5 - 2m)

I think you would be lucky to find a 2m max height plant in a GC, but you never know. If you do find a couple of types you like, you may find them on Ebay. Buying from Taylors for one plant may be a bit expensive, although they are top quality :dbgrtmb:

Clematis piilu | eBay

• Like Like x 1
        • Oakapple

Oakapple Gardener

Tea and biscuit carrier
          Ratings:
          +247
          Thanks folks:)
          I will certainly look at Taylors.

I do that ‘hiding plants at the back’ thing too at garden centres.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1