1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Montana Alba

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by cromar, Sep 1, 2010.

1. cromar

cromar Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Everyone

Hope someone can help this newbie with a problem.

About 3-4 years ago I planted my first clematis - a Clematis Montana Alba - alongside a well-established Pyracantha on a north facing wall here in rural Aberdeenshire. The instructions said "prune after flowering". Well, it has never flowered and, guess what, it has never been pruned either.

It is now well established and grows throughout the pyracantha as planned. There is some dead growth from previous years but mostly vigorous growth from this year.

1. Why does it not flower?

2. If lack of blooms is due to not pruning, should I prune now and, if not, when?

3. When pruning should I take it back to ground level or elsewhere?

Cromar

2. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    I don't know about the non-flowering problem, but I'm sure someone will be along who does.

But I would definitely say not prune it now. It flowers on growth it has made the previous year. You say this year's growth has been vigorous and healthy, so if you leave it I bet you'll get flowers next year.

Then prune it, quite lightly.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/AdviceSearch/profile.aspx?PID=344

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Ok, Clematis montana is normally only pruned to remove dead material. It is a very vigorous climber usually. So if you need to prune then it is best done now ish and lose next years flowers (or not in your case!).
    As to how much to prune, well that is hard. It maybe that cutting back hard would make it flower in the future, or it may be that you have a non flowering clone. They do exist sadly.
    However, what have you to lose? I would prune it back to a few feet from the ground and feed it now with general purpose and Tonk's Rose Fertiliser in Spring and see what happens

4. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    Hehe. Two conflicting views in two posts. That's the beauty of gardening!

Do you not think it's best to see whether all that lovely new growth produces flowers next year before pruning, Palustris? That's certainly what I'd do.

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I say don't prune it now. Wait until next Spring and see if it finally blooms. Then if it doesn't, prune it then.

6. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    Cromar, Clematis montana and varieties shouldn't really need pruning at all unless you are trying to restrict it's size. It is a vigorous grower and they do sometimes look untidy after a few years when you get a build up of older wood behind the newer growth...depending on where you are growing them. (In a tree or along a big wall you might not notice this anyway)
    It is certainly nothing to do with it not flowering, that's for sure. I wonder if you lost your flowers to slugs or snails? In the first few years, whilst the plant is establishing and you might not have lots of buds, this can happen. Or maybe it's just a slow starter!
    If the plant is really untidy, you could chop back to where you are happy with it's growth and then keep poking the new stems in to where you want them, but then it won't flower anyway next Spring!
    Personally, I would leave it alone and see what happens next Spring. After it flowers, (or not!) you can tidy it up...cutting it back to where it looks neat enough if you need to.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/julieparishruralgardener/3887974749/ This is a C. montana in my garden, grown along a willow screen, it needs occasional poking through and keeping under control. Took a couple of years to start flowering, so don't give up just yet!
    Julie

7. Pete02

Pete02 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a C. Montana Rubens, just to confuse the issue further
    I have never pruned it in the 5 years I've had it.:hehe:

Pete

8. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,986
    Well, I have about 10 different C. montanas and they all flower, straight from planting too. I read the original as being that the plant had been in long enough for it to produce flowers, but if it is still a baby then by all means leave it another season. BUT, I would tell it so. "Now look here, you, Flower next Spring or else!"
    :)

9. theruralgardener

theruralgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +149
    :gnthb: Sound advice Palustris, I reckon next Spring should be judgement day! Gardeners are supposed to be patient, but that there Clematis is taking liberties now!

10. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Of course, the reason why it hasn`t flowered could be because the soil is high in Nitrogen but low in Potash. Cromar, don`t prune it, but DO start feeding it with a high potash fertiliser. Any tomato food will suffice.:old::gnthb:

11. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Is there a particular soil that would exhibit high in Nitrogen but low in Potash Dai, or is it down to location?

12. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    A peat based soil which hasn`t been maintained properly Aaron.:gnthb:

13. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    That'll be why my Montana bloomed immediately after planting in my thick, heavy, clay soil then!:D

14. daitheplant

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Clay soil is rich in nutrients, so good for Clems and most other plants.:cool::old:

15. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Exactly - I wouldn't have it any other way :)