1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Montana 'rubens' grow well in shade?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by treetops, Aug 2, 2011.

1. treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I need a climber for the North facing wall of our property which is in constant shade. I was looking at variegated Ivy, such as Persian Ivy but the fact it could damage the walls over time is a bit of a put off, so i'm now thinking of a fast growing Clematis, with quite a few sites saying that Montana's grow well in the shade.

Has anyone got any experience of growing these in the shade? Do they still flower? Any info would be appreciated, or any recommendations for a north facing wall.

Also, is it ok to buy one now and plant it, or should i wait for autumn/spring? I'm guessing as it's going in a shaded area it should be ok to plant now? Thanks for any info

Tree

2. treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Also, any 'support' recommendations would be appreciated. What is best for growing a clematis up a brick wall? Trellis or support wires? many thanks again

3. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    • Like Like x 1
    • pip

pip Gardener

Ratings:
      +226
      Hi treetops, I had a Montana Ruebens growing up a north facing wall at my old house and it loved it.

• Like Like x 1
      • *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,593
        honeysuckles enjoy a bit of shade and there are several species ... gtes a bit 'woody' though, but smells good for a few weeks of the year

Hydrangea grows well in shade, is self clinging but will need lots of pruning once it gets going

• Like Like x 1
        • treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          Thanks all. I went ahead and bought a Montana Rubens. One thing i have found out since my purchase is that in its first spring it should be pruned to about 9 or 12 inches to encourage new shoots from the base. It seems to have plenty of shoots coming up though, and around 4 main long ones around 18inches, does this mean that the early prune won't be necessary? Thanks for any info.

I still have the main north wall of the house for something yet, and i think the climbing hydrangea is favourite for that spot.

Thanks again for the info

Here is a pic of the newly planted montana.

[​IMG]

• treetops

treetops Gardener

Ratings:
          +0
          [​IMG]

I hope i planted it far enough away from the wall, but the better half didn't want it sticking out on the path too much. I still have to cut and relay the slabs around it.

As you can see from this pic, i had to dig out a lot of wet clay, which i read can rot the roots so i didnt want to chance it even though i'd read it tolerates heavy clay. I dug a good 3 foot down, filling the bottom with some gravel mixed soil, then a layer of compo/soil, then some top soil, i hope it'll be happy. I was scared to death removing it from its pot and planting it - seemed so fragile! :phew:

Thanks again all