1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Montana

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Markymark, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
    Ratings:
    +125
    can anyone advise me on my clematis? It is 15 years old and never been pruned. It flowers beautifully every year but is beginning to look a bit woody underneath. I am currently renovating my garden and have painted all the fences... except the one behind here!!! I want to know how far I can cut it back without killing it. It is about to flower but I am off on holiday at the moment and want to clear it and fungicidal wash the fence for a few days before painting. Therefore I am prepared to sacrifice the flowers for a year. The main stem is really thick. I just don’t know how far back I can go. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    You can cut a Montana back to about 3 feet now. You will lose this year's flowers. The new growth this year will flower in 2020. Normally with Montana you just light prune to shape and remove damaged growth, or cut back after flowering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +17,487
      hiya Markymark :)
      You can hard prune Montana and it, usually, comes back. Flowers will be lost for a year or two. It will prob be slow to regrow in its first year so be patient.
      As Harry said, pruning every year after flowering is the way to treat Montanas to keep them looking good all the time :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Markymark

Markymark Gardener

Teacher
        Ratings:
        +125
        Fantastic! Thank you so much. I’m going to go for it!

• Like Like x 1