1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis Mrs Cholmondeley leaves

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kevin73, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Kevin73

Kevin73 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Bought this group 2 clematis from a garden centre recently and planted it.

It was like this before I planted - what do I do to remedy the leaves looking so shrivelled and browning?

It is Planted on south side and north facing next to another group 3 clematis (Margaret hunt) which is flowering now and in good health.

Attached Files:

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    Personally I dont think you can expect it to be doing too much at this time of the year.

I'm not into clematis, but most plants are now shutting down for winter.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Kevin73

Kevin73 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Yes I’m not expecting flowers but do I need to do anything now because of the leave situation? Just wondering if something is wrong?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      My guess would be that the leaves will be falling off soon anyway, its autumn.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +14,363
        Hello Kevin73, don't worry! Clematis do start to look very tatty in autumn. It probably dried out a bit in the nursery, too. You can snip off the brown-edged leaves if you want to tidy it up, but all the excitement is over now until you see the new buds appearing (usually in February). That's when you cut off all the old growth above the buds and start training the new stems into their support :) A feed of blood, fish and bone and close attention to the watering next summer, and she'll be fine.