1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis one blooming, one not

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sarahlou79, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Sarahlou79

Sarahlou79 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I bought 2 Clematis (The President) plants last year, only small last year. I cut back in early spring this year, since then one has grown and bloomed well, the other has grown but no flowers as yet. They are about 5 foot apart from each other so get the same amount of sun. I did change the pot for the non bloomer in early spring, could that have disturbed it? The only other difference is that the one that is flowing is sat behind the outdoor furniture so the roots are always in the shade. Or could this just be a weaker plant? Any ideas to promote flowering? I do feed with a multi purpose plant food. TIA. Also I'm in North Yorks, UK

IMG_20210607_183129.jpg IMG_20210607_183139.jpg

2. Black Dog

Black Dog Gardener of useful things

It's a secret
    Ratings:
    +1,136
    Rule of thumb:
    The first year of plant development doesn't count.

I planted a lot of different trees and bushes. Some exploded after planting, others did a while year of nothing. This even varies between plants with the same type, shop and conditions.
    If they don't grow in the second year after planting you can start to worry, but it seems like your clematis is getting bigger and stronger every day. So be patient and wait for it.

Edit: maybe someone switched signs on the plants. The one that's not flowering Looks a lot bigger than the other. So it could be a different type that got mixed up. Anyways both look happy and healthy.