Clematis wilt.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Jun 9, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Anybody got an effective treatment for this annoying condition? My Marie Boisselot has it on some of it's stems while others are flowing away freely. I'm no expert on Clematis but know all the basics about positioning, shaded roots, pruning of the varieties and mine get lots of grub. None of my other Clematis have wilt....YET! except this 1. I know clematis can be extremely fickle and probably I'd be best to dig this 1 up and buy another but loathed to do that as this 1 is about 15 years old and when not wilting looks lovely with huge blooms. If the worst comes to the worst and it gets really bad with wilt, am I bonkers to try and take cuttings from it with regard to the cuttings then being susceptible? I've has success with Montana cuttings before but never tried with the big flowering types. Are they tricky to strike and any tips. Thanks.

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    "Plant deep" is the only thing I know of. Don't think that is a cure, just enables the plant to come-back from underground stems.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    P.S. If tricky to strike then layer it? Saw a useful tip on YouTube the other day. Get a really flimsy 9cm square pot [I normally throw them away when I buy a plant in one - I'll keep them from now on!]. Cut two vertical slots in opposite sides, about 1/2" wide. Half fill with compost, route the stem [to be rooted] through the slit'ed sides, and fill up with more compost - then put a rock on top to stop the pot moving. He scraped off a bit of "bark" gently with his finger, dipped his finger in hormone rooting powder and rubbed it onto the exposed cambium.

When he came to move he was rooted to the spot ...

... I'll get my coat!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,967
      Excuse me asking, but how does the stem die? If it starts at the top and shrivels down the stem then it is mollusc damage at the base. If it dies from the bottom up then it is Wilt. Cut the dead stem across at the base and look for a purple circle, if there, then Wilt, if not then again more likely mollusc damage.

• Informative Informative x 1
      • silu

Ratings:
        +8,083
        Now wait a minute Palustris, I'm pretty certain the die back is from the top down not the wilt way. It is lashing with rain atm but when /if! it stops I'll go and investigate. I presumed maybe wrongly that it must be wilt as the die back has happened before in previous seasons. I don't have a huge slug/snail problem with my Hostas getting away scot free most years but that said I definitely have slugs and snails. I would rather it was mollusc damage as no doubt easier to combat. I have various other Clematis which are fine, are some Clematis more tasty to slugs/snails etc than others maybe?
        I'll let you know when I have pruned of an affected branch. Thank you.

• Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,967
        It is only that Wilt is far more unusual than people think. And it is better to have a proper diagnosis than to go digging up a perfectly good plant. If some of the stems are unaffected then I would go with the mollusc damage myself. From what I read about Wilt, the whole plant should collapse, in one go, and very quickly too!

• Informative Informative x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,834

What Does Clematis Wilt Look Like?
          Clematis wilt is a fungus disease (Ascochyta clematidina) that is sometimes called clematis leaf and stem spot. Clematis wilt causes the foliage and stems to dry and whiter, possibly turning black. You may see reddish lesions along the stems, but the onset and spread of clematis wilt can be quick. You may not have any warning before an entire clematis vine turns brown. On the other hand, it’s not unusual for only a few stems to be affected.
          What Causes the Disease?
          Clematis wilt is spread by spores. Like most fugal diseases, is more prevalent in damp or humid weather. Plants that are tangled and remain wet well into the day are even more prone to attack.
          On older clematis plants, the woody portion near the ground is often the first area affected. The plant dies back because the fungus cuts off its circulatory system and no water can be carried through the plant. Left untreated, clematis wilt will spread throughout the plant and can kill a heavily infested plant.

What to Do for Affected Plants
          Clematis plants can recover from wilt, because it does not attack their root system.
          At the first sign of withering or drying, cut the affected stems back to ground level. It sounds severe, but it can save your plant. Dispose of the cuttings somewhere other than the compost. New shoots should emerge from the base shortly, although Washington State University Extension’s fact sheet said “One resource on this subject states that renewed shoots can appear up to three years after the problem, so do not lose heart if this happens.”

Keep the roots water, even if there is no top growth. Remove all remaining growth in the fall and dispose of it. The fungus can over-winter in the dead foliage.

If you wish to use a preventative fungicide, sulfur is recommended.

Are All Clematis Susceptible to Clematis Wilt?
          To some degree, yes. The larger flowered varieties are most prone and the some of the smaller flowering varieties, like Clematis alpina and Clematis viticella, show better resistance. There is also some evidence that the older and better established a plant is, the less likely it is to become infected.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • silu

Ratings:
            +8,083
            It did eventually stop raining so been out and cut down as far as I could the 2 (thought it was only 1) affected shoots. I couldn't cut them right down to the ground as didn't have my glasses on! Will attack further tomorrow. I don't see a purple circle Palustris when I have cut across the stems but the stems do seem to have a reddish blotchy appearance, bit like the reddish tinge you get on Rhubarb on the stalk close to where the leaf begins if this makes any sense at all! IE not the bright red bit which is good for eating. It does seem strange tho that it isn't all the stems and ones next door to those affected are totally healthy. I will put down 1 of my trusty beer traps near the Clematis and see if I get any visitors! Thanks Armandii very interesting article. My plant does have reddish blotches but not lesions as such. On inspection the affected stems do seem very dry despite us having had bucket loads of rain recently. I'll cut the affected stems down as far as I can , see what the trap produces if anything and hope it won't all collapse as it's flowering it's head off atm and looks beautiful.

• Like Like x 1