Clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by moyra, Jun 18, 2008.

1. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Can anyone proffer some advice on why two out of three Clematis are flowering abundantly in the same garden and the third although it has lots of healthy green vines is not showing any sign of flowering. I am asking this on behalf of a friend who happens to live in Ontario.

She hasn't said what varieties any of them are. I will see if she can send me photo's if you think that would help in discerning the problem. Thanks in advance for any ideas on why.

2. moyra

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    It appears that the Clematis she is concerned about is a Vitacelli Polish Spirit. It appears that it bloomed ok last year but no sign of a flower this year. It's not one of these that only flowers every other year is it?

3. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,967
    Not sure of the weather conditions in Ontario, but here our Polish Spirit is in good growth, but it normally does not begin to flower until the middle of July at the earliest. It has flowered prolifically every year since it got established, so no it is not a biennial flowerer. Oh and it is classed as a late flowering large hybrid rather than a Viticella type. This only matters in terms of pruning.

4. moyra

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Thank you Palustris, I think Ontario has had a little better weather than here whilst Vancouver over the over side of Canada has had very much the same as us. Not up to the usual expectation for this time of year. I will ask her to think back to when it bloomed last year - I suppose she is thinking that perhaps she should at least see signs of blooms coming around now but the lack of them is probably what is worrying her. I expect she will have to be a bit patient, if it bloomed ok last year then no reason it shouldn't this. Thank you once again.

5. moyra

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Pleased to say that my friends Vitacelli Polish Spirit is now budding up!