1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clematis

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rickyH, Sep 13, 2005.

1. rickyH

rickyH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,
    Something is eating my clematis! I have sprayed it with a general garden bug spray but to no avail, can't find any insects on it and i have several other varieties in other places in the garden which are perfectly ok. This is on a trellis on the side of a wooden shed, south facing. Help! Rik. (new member, first message)

2. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ricky
    Have you checked for slugs/snails? I know in my garden they are quite partial to a nibble on clematis, but only some cultivars (What sort of Clematis is yours?)

3. rickyH

rickyH Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Bayleaf, Yes I have checked for slugs/snails as they are a problem in my garden - I have treated the whole area. Sorry don't know the variety of these three plants but I'm working on it.Rik.

4. sam k

sam k Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ricky,
    it could be earwigs, just a thought :confused:

5. hans

hans Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +745
    You could try going out at night with a torch it may be a night diner some of mine are.

6. Mel

Mel Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    My garden has been infested with earwigs this year. Horrible little things they are!

7. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Betch its slugs or more likely snails, like Bayleaf say - with the recent rain they are definitly chewing on my plants. I go with Hans - try a torch patrol after dark. In my garden snails tend to attack the stem eroding til the stem falls and the can then consume at their leisure, and occasionally the flowers - slugs tend to go for the leaves - prolly a question of weight.

8. Frangipani

Frangipani Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I've only got a patio out the back of my flat. the area is quite wet and full of snails and slugs.. When I first started out, my patio was a smorgas board of delicacies.. I didn't want to use pesticides or anything like that and 'night patrol' was too much effort.. I came to the conclusion that they hate Vicks and copper.

I put a flat copper band on the edges of the patio all around the paving stones (got it from the garden center) and smeared my pots with a ring of vicks.. NOT ONE SINGLE slimey thing crossed it's path! I had to check all the hidie holes on the patio and just threw the culprites over the 'other side' copper band..

totally organic and totally effective and I didn't have to kill anything (kinda Bhuddist ya see).. although I need to replace the Vicks for this Autumn.