1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climber for Northeast Wall

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Redwing, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,830
    I would like suggestions for a climber for a beautiful northeast facing wall. It gets lots of morning sun this time of year and none in the depths of winter. Late March/early April is about when the sun returns. I did plant a Clematis montana on the right side end of this wall but it died after two years. It flowered well last year but it succumbed to the late frosts we had in April this year. As you can see in the picture below, taken this morning, the honeysuckle and rose are doing well. I'd like suggestions for something to replace the montana that will do well in this low sun position. Thanks folks.

IMG_6051aresize.JPG

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    • Like Like x 2
    • clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,625
      • Like Like x 2
      • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +4,203
        If you are after some white climbing roses then Monty Don /Gardeners World planted some suitable varieties a few weeks ago, cannot remember their names, but you could Catch Up online.

As an alternative, hardy Fuchias, Lady Boothby, fast growing 'climber' 6ft + high on my north facing wall. Also Mrs Popple, 3 - 4ft high bush. Both flower June to first hard frosts.

• Like Like x 2
        • Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,830
          Thanks folks. :) I had forgotten about the climbing hydrangea, @Clare G . As I have a successful rose on this wall, I think I would like something different. Didn't in a hundred years think of fuchsia and will look into this. Lady B sounds good. I love the cartmanii clematis' but think I need one a bit bigger than the 1-2 m of Clematis Fragrant Oberon but will definitely look into it. It's quite a big space. Are there any bigger cartmaniis' that would work on a NE wall I wonder.

• Like Like x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,328
            You might like to consider Schizophragma hydrangeoides, I have the variety "Moonlight" just beginning to climb a north facing wall. Not massively different to a climbing hydrangea, but worth a thought.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,731
              I just looked that up @NigelJ and it looks like a good choice, probably better than hydrangea petiolaris. Looks like @Redwing 's wall gets a lot of sun in the summer and my concern would be that the hydrangea might scorch, while apparently schizophragma flowers best in the sun!)

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
              Ratings:
              +5,404
              I think you may find that although Schizophragma is quite stunning, it is very slow growing, and Hydrangea petiolaris is rather more reliable. Have you considered Parthenocissus - ''Henryi'' maybe. Practically all Clematis is happy to be planted on a north facing wall.

• Redwing

Redwing Wild Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,830
              Thanks everyone; I will look up all of these.