Climbers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Smiler, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Smiler

Smiler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have decided to plant some type of climber in our garden but have no idea what to choose. It is to go in a very narrow flower bed along the side of the garden to cover our wooden fence.

Any ideas? And if so, when is the best time to plant. Should I wait until spring?

2. Ladybird

Ladybird Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I guess you want flowers ?? Is it sunny ? Hops can be quite nice once establishedI have planted 6 over 40 ft of fencing, and now one mass of flowers. They are pretty selfclinging, maybe just a guide with a bit of string or a cane...for direction.
    There are lots of other choices, like Roses, Clematis, Honeysuckle and lots of Annuals mixed in too.

Ladybird

3. Smiler

Smiler Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. Sorry I didn't give more information!

Yes my garden is very sunny. I do want something which flowers but will give good coverage all year round. I have to be careful that it isn't anything poisonous as I have an 18 month old daughter. I love Roses but the thorns scare me a little (because of my daughter). Something low maintenance would be good because we are away quite a lot.

Is there anything I can plant now or should I wait until the spring?

Thanks again.