1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climbing rose - brown leaves ants and bugs

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by ijolly4, Aug 20, 2020.

1. ijolly4

ijolly4 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I purchased a climbing rose and planted it in a rear garden border climbing a fence. The garden is East facing. After planting it looked to do well and flowered earlier in the year. After flowering the leaves have slowly turned brown. There are small bugs on the stems and ants (I think they are eating the bugs). It looks like the rose is slowly dying and not sure what is best IMG_6042.JPG IMG_6041.JPG IMG_6040.JPG IMG_6039.JPG

Attached Files:

2. luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
    Ratings:
    +125
    Hello, ijolly4. Maybe aphids but the insects were too grainy and far away in the pictures to tell 100% sure. You can capture a few in a sealed, transparent, plastic bag and take them to your favorite local plant nursery for identification. Ants do not directly harm the roses, but they may encourage the presence of sap-feeding pests by protecting the "real" pests from their natural predators. Ants also use the honeydew that these pests produce. So when ants appear on roses, always check the whole plant for other pests.

• Agree Agree x 1
      Last edited: Feb 1, 2021
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      By the looks of things, all the foliage has been attacked. No good trying to same it. Remove all dead,dying and damaged leaves and burn. The bugs, ptobably aphid/blackfly. These can be brushed off, or spray with rose clear. A brush dipped in meths will also get rid of them.

• ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      How big is the rose, ijolly:scratch:? The insects are definitely Black Fly, and I wouldn't worry about the brown leaves as they can just natural turn brown after a time. However, Roses are hungry plants and like, during the growing season, being fed with a High Potash Fertiliser such as Tomato Feed at least fortnightly. The Black Fly will have gone by the first cold snap so they won't be a problem until the warmer weather arrives. One problem with Black Fly is that Ants will, given the chance, actually farm and tend the Black Fly on plants to get the "Honey Dew" that the Black Fly excrete.
      To be honest, I wouldn't use Meths or other chemicals but a really effective method is to spray the Rose, if infected with Black Fly or Green Fly, with a weak solution of Washing Up Liquid which will kill on contact while also remembering to spray the underside of the leaves

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
        Ratings:
        +6,097
        Nice, simple to understand video.

My reason for suggesting the removal and burning of all affected leaves. Such sad leaves may well be harbouring other bacteria. Yes.In time the leaves will fall and eventually decompose into the soil. This is the norm, but it must be remembered that. Certain bacteria has the ability to live on, so to speak. For instance. Black Spot. This virus can live for a very long time in the soil. When the time is right, it will rise up and the spores have a ready and waiting host. As a kind of bonus, which we gardeners can well do without. Most bugs carry an additional armoury. Not only do they damage and at times destroy your plants. They can act similar to mice and rats. They leave a devastating trail behind them. So. As indicated by the photos. All foliage has become affected. Possibly under the microscope, I could identify perhaps several other infections. Each attributed to the presence of these bugs. So the choice is yours.

The world famous David Austin decd' Used to get all his staff out into the growing fields befor christmas and they would totally defoliate all the roses. Results. Healthy roses for sale in the new year.

Soapy water spray is an oldie. Strange but I believe true. The EU at one time outlawed the use. In practical terms. Yes it works, but it is so messy.

Please note. I am not being critical. Simply passing on valid info.

• Like Like x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          Well, I have no record of the EU, Mike, banning the use of Washing Up Liquid for spraying Roses and killing Black Fly, but they did ban the use, along with other materials such as Sulphur, of Soft Soap as a spray. But Washing Up Liquid it must be emphasised is not Soft Soap, it's organic and safe to use and is used by many Gardeners who don't find it messy as it's merely a weak solution of the water you pour down the sink after washing dishes:dunno: Washing Up Liquid does contain a minute trace of Soft Soap but that is a modern version of it approved by the EU.
          I think it's important that we do not use general descriptions such as "Soapy Water Spray", to include two different kinds of chemical solutions as that can lead to confusion. The use of Washing Up liquid is really quite a modern application as Washing up Liquid was only invented in the 1940's and started to be used in the 1950's. Soft Soap is the old method as it was being used by Gardeners in the 1840's. Methylated Spirits (denatured Alcohol) is another method, that was being used in the 1920's, that need to be a mix of 1litre of water to 250mm of Methylated Spirits and sprayed although caution should be used when Children and Pets are around, plus it needs safe storage to avoid accidents as it is a toxic substance.

• Friendly Friendly x 1