1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climbing Rose Bush Advice

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Holly3012, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Holly3012

Holly3012 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone!
    Sorry if I've posted this to the wrong place - I'm new here!
    My other half and I have just started renting a new place with a garden. Neither of us have ever really been gardeners before but thought we'd give it a go!

I've attached a few photos to try and help explain - we have two of these trellises in the garden, but they are dilapidated and falling over. We have spoken to the landlord who said they would be concerned about us taking them down because of the rose that's tied up to one of them but would be open to suggestions.

Would anyone know how we could take the trellis down but save the rose bush at all? If that's possible?

Thanks for reading!

Holly

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,667
      Well if the trellis fails its going to make a right mess of the Rose ! I looked at the photos before reading your post and my first impression was "That trellis has had it" ... before I even looked at the plants, which is unusual for me!

You could cut the rose back hard, it will grow back again. Not advocating that, per se, and best done at the right time of the year ... but just to say that Roses are pretty robust.

I would have thought you could get the trellis out, and replace it, with care - and without the Rose coming to any harm, if you are OK with DIY and had a second pair of hands available.

• Agree Agree x 1