1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Climbing roses - a couple of questions

Discussion in 'Roses' started by clueless1, Feb 19, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all

Today I was the victim of impulse buying. I went into Wilko's for some toilet roll, and came out with two climbing roses.

My intention was to put them in the front garden where a well established climbing rose has made its way up a narrow trellis, but now I'm not so sure so I have a couple of questions:

1. How fast do they grow? What I'm thinking is I can get them in the ground where I want them, and if they don't grow too quickly I can give them a trellis later.

2. What will they climb? Will they climb a tree trunk (there are Leylandii trunks in the back garden, the trees were killed off before I moved in).

3. Do roses generally need full sun or will they tolerate part shade?

4. How far apart will I need to space them when planting them out?

Cheers.

2. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,856
    Good morning Clueless:)

1.Not that fast, plenty of time for a Trellis later.

2.They will climb anything but you have to train them.

3.Usually at least 6 hours of Sun but put them in and we shall see.

4.3 - 4ft is usual.

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    I agree with Woo. Just don't forget to enrich the hole you're putting them in. I take it they weren't named but just labelled "Red, Pink, White, Yellow"? It's a shame when they do that as it can be a great help if you know the specific rose so you can look up it's likes and dislikes, whether it's scented and/or a repeat flowerer. Whatever they are it sounds like a good start to a nice project!!