1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clinker/Gravel/Woodchips

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Sussexgardener, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    [​IMG]

Above is a shot of the top 'area' of my garden. As you can see, the grass has long since disappeared, party because it's very shady there from mid morning onwards, partly because it gets very swampy in winter and partly because the chickens ate it all (the gap on the left side can be closed, so it made a good place to let them out for some grass!).

I'm trying to decide what to resurface this area with. It's approximately 3ft x 3ft and as I said, shaded from mid/late morning onwards in the summer. But, it's lovely to sit (normally I have a plastic chair there) with a cuppa on a sunny morning, especially as it can feel like a bit of a secret cranny.

What would peeps recommend? I'm not bothered really what to use, but not got a clue or how to prepare the ground, but I do know enough to know that puting gravel down on clay soil that is liable to get boggy in winter is a BAD idea! The stepping stones path has to remain is place as it's used all the time to get the chicken run, which I was crouched in to take the pic.

Thanks in advance

Edited to add, the chicken house is on the other side of the path, just in case you were wondering what is there!

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Go the whole hog & dig it all out, put a pond there with stepping stones and an island.

I would if I had the space and time. Chickens would be facinated.

3. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I have considered a small pond there but then I'd have nowhere to sit in the sun first thing in the morning! It's also surrounded by quite densely planted borders on three sides, which require access most of the time. Shame, as I have a few plants growing there that would enjoy being next to a pond (lobelia, ferns, ligularia)...but there just isn't the room.

Yes, the chickens would be fascinated, right up until they fall in!

4. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Also, they would do their business in the water...

5. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    I've been up to have another look at the space. A pond could work, but only a very small one. So I still need ideas for ground cover and how to go about it. Please :)

6. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Small water feature with gravel surrounding? Hens would love turning the gravel looking for worms and other bugs

7. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Just to emphasise, the chickens will not be in this part of the garden any longer. It is purely decorative.

8. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    I'd lift the flags then level the area and put down decent quaity permeable membrane, replace the flags and then spread a thick layer of bark chips. It will look natural and won't get soggy.
    You could as has been suggested try making a SMALL pond. We've a 'wild' area set aside to encourage biodiversity and made a pond out of a large plastic plant tub (its about 30" wide and a couple of feet deep) we had a frog in it earlier this year and our hedgehogs drink from it. If you do make one from a planter make sure that there's a stone to provide safe exit for mammals.

9. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,729
    I have a habit of trying to cram too much into a small space, but personally I wouldn't put in a pond. If it's an area where you're going to sit and enjoy the garden, it would be worth putting in a permanent 'floor' which isn't going to go manky in the way that wood chips etc etc always do. We have a similar area at the end of the garden (slightly larger, I think, since we have managed to squeeze in a garden table) and we have made it into a little terrace using brick paving. It looked a bit like a garage forecourt in its first season, but it has now weathered nicely. Add a nice chair and a glass of wine and you won't want to leave!

10. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Nice idea Clare...and coincidentally, we are having some work done next month (involving removal of an old shed and replacement of a new one), so there will be brick paving becoming available then. With the added bonus that it's already weathered:cool:

Cheers!

Much as I like the idea of a pond, I really don't think there is the room, sadly

11. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    ''Yes, the chickens would be fascinated, right up until they fall in! ''

Sorry I misunderstood. :oops: