1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Clueless Novice: What does gardening entail?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by MademoiselleC, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MademoiselleC

MademoiselleC Apprentice Gardener

Academic
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just moved from a garden-less flat to a small house with a small garden. I have not got the faintest idea what gardening entails....I have tried looking on the net for information but it is not that helpful,so maybe a good place to start would be recommendations for good reference books on gardening....and yes for beginners, really complete beginners whose mind go blank at the mention of pruning (pruning? what the devil is this).

Still,I am itching to actually do things.....The previous occupier was obviously keen and left me with a very pretty plot: two bits of mossy lawn (I do not mind the moss) , encircled by flowery borders (well so far flowers keep sprouting out on a regular basis) and two hedges along the front of the property. However, I am not sure how to proceed or what to get on with (tidying up seems a good starting point). But...for instance the daffodils are starting to die out, do I dig out the bulbs? I also have no idea if I need planting seeds or whether more plants are likely to emerge?
    oh and I have moved to the north east of Scotland: wet, cold but not as lacking sun as I had anticipated.....

Any tips, recommendations and references are very welcome.

Thanks
    MademoiselleC

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Bonjour et Bienvenue á Corner Jardiner Madamoiselle C :WINK1:

Like the attitude towards moss :thumbsup: I like moss too, why waste time and money trying to get rid of it if its happy there.

Gardening is just about enjoying the garden. If you like whats coming up then enjoy it.

Leave the daffodils to die back, they will make more bulbs underground and come up with even more flowers next year.

Have a look around a garden centre, if you like anything there then us lot can help you with it.

If your not sure whats a weed and whats a flower, remember, a weed is just a plant in the wrong place.

A rose is a weed in the lawn, and grass is a weed in the flower bed.

There is always the identification section on here if you get stuck, were here to help:dbgrtmb:

Zig

3. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,538
    Wise words from Ziggy.
    Perhaps also you can make friends with a gardening neighbour who might help you out.
    We've all had to start somewhere. Good luck and happy gardening. :thumb:

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    [​IMG] MademoiselleC..
    :sunny: Sounds like a pretty garden.. Is it a sheltered town garden or a more exposed garden out of town.?

:thumbsup: Why not post some photos so the members can see & I am sure you will get plenty of offers of help & encouragement.. :sunny: We are a pretty friendly bunch here.. We all started somewhere & like Zig says it is about enjoying it (your garden) & yourself... :hapfeet:

5. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    Welcome to GC and to the world of gardening - we've got members here from Scotland so they'll be well placed and more than willing to give advice on what will grow best/better in your area.

As you've only just moved in and have as you say, ' ... a very pretty plot ..', my suggestion would be just basically watch and see what happens during this year. I suspect there will be some things you love and others you'll absolutely hate, but you won't know which is which until they've had a chance to show you! Once you've decided what you do like (and it doesn't matter a jot that you may not know what it's called), you can dig out the things you dislike.

Pruning is (basically) cutting bits off shrubby plants either to keep them in shape, get rid of dead or diseased bits or to encourage more flowers or fruit - if you're not sure just post a picture here and someone will be happy to help.

As a first-time gardener you'll be easily overwhelmed by the number of gardening books available, so my suggestion would be, go for something really really simple and basic that doesn't assume you have acres and acres, endless time, bottomless pockets or want to end up with a mini Kew Gardens! Everyone will have their favourite, but I bought my daughter (in exactly the same situation as you, i.e. new gardener), a little book called 'The Gardener's Pocket Bible' by Roni Jay (£9.99). There's no pretty full colour pages, but it just gives basic, easy to follow and simply explained advice (usually in words of one syllable!) and also gives loads of bits they've entitile 'Rule of Thumb' - i.e. you should do this or that, but generally it's fine if you do such-and-such.

For more advanced books - until you're ready to buy them for yourself - check out the library.

Over the months/years you'll get to know what sort of soil you've got, understand what will grow in it, what won't and, before you know it, you'll be as good as the rest of 'em!

PS - I don't worry about moss in my lawn either - doesn't need mowing half as much as grass :yess:

6. greencuisinequeen

greencuisinequeen Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Ziggy is there no end to your talents, French aswell eh? :love30:

Hi MademoiselleC and welcome, I too am in a very similar situ as yourself although had a mum who was great at this gardening mularky and faintly remember bits & bobs from my youth (a few moons ago) :loll:

I have been given great advice and help in my short time as member here and please do just ask away and as Marley Farley said try and take some pics as it does help when asking for advice.

Happy Days
    GCQ
    :thumbsup: