Clusia 'Princess'

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Victoria, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,918
    I bought this tree(let) several months ago as a tiny little thing and it has shot up rapidly probably tripling in size ...

[​IMG]

I can't find much information on it but if it is the Clusia orthoneura then the flowers will look like this ....

[​IMG]

(flower picture courtesy of Gardino Nursery corp)

There doesn't seem to be much info available on it but it is from Tropical South America.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +84,398
    Looks fleshy, almost a succulent.

3. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Lol there is some information in the rhs encyclopedia I did almost type it all out when the stupid site had a hiccup and blanked out what I had typed if you think the information could be of use to you I will type it out again or e-mail it to you.

4. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,918
    Evening pete and walnut. :)

Yes, pete it has very succulent leaves.

Rather than you typing away, walnut perhaps I could just look there ... or do I need to be a member to get such information?

I have this link which I got the flower picture from ....

http://www.gardinonursery.com/product_info.php?products_id=425

... and I saw another variety where it looked like a small 'canopy' shaped tree.

Even thought I've had it since early summer, I'm quite excited about it as it's 'different'. :)

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Here you go my Lady,
    CLUSIA
    guttiferae hypericaceae
    Genus of about 145 species of evergreen trees and shrubs some of which are epiphytic,found in forests from Florida USA to Mexico,the West Indies and tropical South America.They are grown for their simple leathery leaves borne in opposite pairs,and for their 4 to 9 petalled magnolia-like flowers borne singly or in terminal clusters.In frost prone areas grow as foliage houseplants or in a warm or temperate greenhouse.In humid tropical climates they are suitable for costal gardens,shrub borders,or for specimen planting.
    *Hardiness frost tender
    *Cultivation Under glass grow in loam based potting compost(JI no2) with additional sharp sand,in bright filtered light with high humidity.From early summer to autumn,water freely and apply a balanced liquid fertilizer monthly,water only moderately in winter.Top dress or pot on in spring.
    Outdoors grow in fertile but well drained soil in patial shade:Pruning group 1;tolerates restrictive pruning under glass.
    *Propagation Sow seed at 19-24c in spring, softwood cuttings with bottom heat in summer,air layer in spring or summer.
    *Pest and Diseases Trouble free.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :) An intriguing plant LoL.. It will be lovely when it is older & bigger... :D I think I may have seen one of the other kinds in Jamaica.. I think it was a Clusia lanceolata Copey, Balsam Apple, that I saw there in my friends garden...!! Fantastic trees though LoL.. Here is a good link for lots of pics of the different kinds Lol...:)

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,918
    Thank you walnut and Marley. Marley, I don't get anything with your link. :scratch:

There were only three of these at the garden center in the succulent section and I am always intriqued by a new name .... I really didn't have a clue what it was but went for it because of it's beautiful leaves and was surprised to come home and find out it's a small tree that flowers. :thumb:

8. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    :dh: OK try HERE
    :dh: No idea why the other one doesn't work...!!!:dh::(

9. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +49,918
    Thanks Marley .... they are all so beautiful.

I've been searching again for the Clusia 'Princess' (which has a P following so I guess it's being patented) and still found nothing. Then I had an :idea: and looked up the company selling it ....

http://www.pearlsofliving.com/

Here is lists it as Clusia Rosea Princess but I still have not found a definitive picture of the flowers. :(