Coal ash

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Loofah, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,176
    Does anyone know why 'they' say you shouldn't put coal ash on the garden?
    I'm getting through loads of fires recently and while most of it is wood, I do have a small amount of coal to get everything going.

I don't think what I put out into the garden is killing anything but thought I'd check...

2. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    Coal ash; is best avoided because it has a negligible nutrient content and its fine particle size means it is of little benefit to soil structure, plus, it may contain toxic by-products.

Perhaps you could put in layers in your compost heap particularly if your compost heap contains lots of vegetative matter and this may stop it turning into a gungy mess.

3. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,176
    Its the toxicity I was thinking of really. Particle sizes I'm not fussed about as I spread it over wide areas and in the compost bin. Maybe a bit of searching of tiniterwebby is in order...

4. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    I thought so that's why I highlighted it!

Another thought strikes me and it is regarding "soot" which must contain similar bi-products as the ash IMHO

If using this; the experts say let it weather outdoors prior to using it, so this suggests to me that you could quite possibly take this approach with you ash.

As I said it is only a thought!

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,246
    This one's a bit late as I have had a gas BBQ for the last 4 years. When I had a charcoal barbie , I used to spread the ash on the garden . Is this good or bad like Loofahs coal ash ?

6. Tee Gee

Tee Gee Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +172
    I wouldn't have thought so, isn't charcoal charred WOOD rather than fossilised wood?

7. Loofah

Ratings:
    +21,176
    With BBQ ash the problem is more fat left over from cooking...

8. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,594
    Coal ash is fine for acid loving plants. I know this for two reasons.

1) Apparently, way before any of us lot were about, it was routinely used for surfacing paths in the garden. It was a good way to get rid of it.

2) Much more recently, my grand parents grew the most amazing hydrangea in the 'ash mountain' in the back yard. The ash mountain was the ever growing pile of ash that they accumulated when cleaning out the coal fire. They also had very healthy red currants growing in it too.

Coal ash contains sulphur, and when it gets wet (as it will) it produces sulphuric acid, which is why it is not good for non-acid loving plants.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +49,915
      I only have wood ash here but had only coal ash in the UK ... and I never lost anything. I think sense has to come into it as to how much you put and where. :scratch:

• Like Like x 1
      • Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
        Ratings:
        +3,035
        I used coal ash for a couple of years to create paths - it was handy way to dispose of it.
        I used to keep the soot from when I swept the chimney to sprinkle (lightly) between my rows of carrots as the smell was reckoned to keep carrot fly away. I also used to put soot into a sack and soak it in a bucket of water and use it diluted as a high nitrogen feed on my veg.
        On the all too rare occasions when it's warm enough for a BBQ I just empty the wood ash onto any handy bit of soil or else tip it on the compost heap.

• Like Like x 2
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +117,313
          Coal ash you need to be a bit careful with (as the others have said) but wood ash is fine.

We spread up to a ton of wood ash arround the garden every two or three years (it's not as much as it sounds :heehee: ). It's good for promoting growth of greenery but you need to be careful in the veg patch where you may need the plants to flower to produce their crop. So things like brassicas are Ok and things like toms, peas and beans need a lot less - although you can still use it.

• Loofah

Ratings:
          +21,176
          Right, figured it would be OK especially with the small quantities I'm talking about! Will continue to liberally scatter:)