1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Temps and Plants..

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Sally Parker, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    Hi,

Just a bit worried about the coming cold this week and a couple of my plants. :sad:

I've looked up all the max (Cold) temperatures for my plants and most are ok, down to -15 or -20c which is good. But a couple are max -10c and it's going to get to 'feels like' -12 for a few hours this week and the rest of the time it's going to be pretty cold too, pretty much minus figures for most of the week. The plants that are max -10 are my Californian Lilac (Skylark) and the most important plant of all (Because it's a place where all our lovely garden birds hide, feed, shelter and play in, as it's a very big bush!) is our Hebe bush and we really don't want that to die. :frown::frown:

Do you think it could be ok?? It's not all sheltered from the winds either. "snow dig"

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      Where are you, it would help if you put your location in your profile as some parts of the UK are obviously much more milder than others.

You could put fleece around them for the next week which will help a little bit.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
      Ratings:
      +5,404
      Good morning Sally. I'm sure those two plants will be fine. Even if they get a bit frosted, they should bounce back. I find that most Hebes are quite tough, it's the ones with larger leaves that might feel it a bit.
      Whereabouts are you?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Thanks, but not sure how to add my location. I just tried but can't see it visible here. Anyway, I'm in Crewkerne, Somerset.

Don't have any fleece and the bush is too big anyway.

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
        +145
        Oh, I hope so. It's the Midsummer Beauty bush, so has quite small leaves. :)

I'm in Crewkerne, Somerset.

• Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        Well I think it will be coldest along the East coast. The further you are West, the warmer it usually is.:)

• Agree Agree x 1
        • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,487
          Sally, I'm in the far west of Cornwall.....temps here will vary hugely from east to west.....and temps are likely to be the coldest for several years. This morning I covered tender plants in the gh with fleece not knowing really what to expect. Cannas already shooting outside will prob be hit but recover hopefully.
          However, hopefully the cold spell will not last too long.....plants can cope with relatively short spells of minus temps.
          It will help if your plants are in well drained soil too.
          Skylark is one of the hardier ceanothus so fingers crossed it will be fine.:) Just how big is it Sally? You can buy rolls of fleece 6 metres by 2 metres or more. .???

• Like Like x 1
          • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +5,090
            Old blanket/duvet then plastic over the top should help if you cant get your hands on any fleece at short notice. I think we have until tuesday to get ready for the chill.
            I dont think it will be as cold as the headline makers are scaring us with. Unusually cold granted if your south of Hull but just a normal winters weather where im living

• Like Like x 1
            • Informative Informative x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
              +145
              Thanks all for the replies. :)

Yes the soil has good draining. The Skylark's only about 2.5 ft tall and wide, but the Hebe is about 2 mtrs tall and wide.

Can't get hold of any fleece at the minute and don't have anything else really to cover either plant with, so hopefully they WILL be ok!! :sad:

• Like Like x 1
              • Verdun

Ratings:
                +17,487
                Sally, try to get some fleece tomorrow....as WeeTam said, the really cold stuff is coming Tuesday. 2.5 metres isnt too tall to fleece. 2 rolls....different directions and weighed down with pots, stones, anything . Will make a big difference :)

• Like Like x 1
                • Snorky85

Snorky85 Total Gardener

Accountant
                  Ratings:
                  +10,971
                  Glad i'll be home just in time to wrap my plants up!!! Not going to let the cold get them like last year!

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
                  +145
                  How much does this fleece cost?? I don't have ANY spare money, I have barely enough to put in the electric for next week, at £5-£6 a day!

Think I'll just have to hope they'll be ok. :frown:

• Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  Very cheap...£3 or £4 for a sheet 8 metres x 1.5 at Wilko. Any garden centre or superstore will stock it.
                  I understand though.....money for essentials versus money for fleece!!
                  Hopefully the cold spell will be short lived :)
                  The thought that spring is just around the corner warms me up:)

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
                  +145
                  Oh, ok not too expensive then, though I haven't got a Wilko anywhere near me and unless I get some extra money come in before Tuesday, then I still can't afford. :sad:

I also just remembered my Rosemary bush & Curry plant, which only tolerate -10. The Rosemary bush is very sheltered from the Easterly/Northerly winds, but the Curry plant isn't! This is mine and my partners first ever garden and we have started from scratch planting up the garden, because it is a housing association property and they stripped out almost everything when the old lady who lived here before died. So it makes the plants even more special.

I also have a Black & Blue Salvia, which only tolerated -5 temps and that died back a couple of months ago, but I know it will grow back when it gets warmer. Do other plants grow back if they get killed off by cold, as long as their roots are still there???

• Verdun

Ratings:
                  +17,487
                  For future reference Sally, you can take cuttings from curry plant.....still can if you keep them indoors for a while...and rosemary too. :)
                  Just dont worry about it all now.
                  Your Black and Blue......it will have suckering roots so should be fine and regrow. You can take a couple of roots and pot them up in the spring.
                  To be honest, we are all nervous of the impending cold spell.....we just arent ready for it I think :sad:
                  During spring and summer ask for cuttings of plants you see locally....gardeners are often more than ready to share their plants. Here, I often give cuttings and plants. Then you will build up a nice collection of plants for free!:)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Agree Agree x 1
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1